Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
locating dahla tubers in San Antonio/Corpus Christie

Posted by LindainAlaska 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 19:57

We will be vacation in three weeks and driving from San Antonio to Corpus Christie - does anyone know of a place down there that I could get tubers, In can't do mail order because its too cold in AK right now and I haven's seen anything in the big box stores that I like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: locating dahla tubers in San Antonio/Corpus Christie

I looked at vendor lists with no luck finding any in Texas. No dahlia associations, either. I know folk grow them down there, but the heat makes it tough.

Perhaps you could have a vendor mail tubers there in 2.5 weeks so you could carry it home on the plane? I've had things shipped to hotels before, but you have to stay on top of everything with multiple phone calls to minimize problems.

Or you could just have varieties shipped a bit later in the year when things start warming up...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia vendors, varieties, and growing articles

o

I know Home Depot and Lowes carry dahlia tubers. If you have a Costco card, Costco also carries dahlias at a great price.

o

I just talked to a small dahlia vendor about shipping in cold weather, and they said they're shipping dahlias to Alaska end of March, not anticipating any problems.

Another large dahlia vendor I called about delaying my March 3rd order due to below zero temps said that their peat-moss packing keeps them from freezing, and out of thousands sent last year during the cold months, only one grower called for replacements because of frozen tubers. That vendor replaced at no charge, so it's worth a shot if you want better choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here