Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjmarshes

My tubers over wintered in raised beds!

sjmarshes
13 years ago

We have had the coldest winter in ages here on the Mid Atlantic coast that I can remember. I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather the other day to do some garden clean up.

I had left some tubers and stakes in the ground this past fall and was about to pull the stakes to finally put them away when I figured I should check first. Could not believe that there was a bunch of tubers all fat and happy! Raised beds no less.

I know that if I had wanted to over winter them outside (Z-7a) I would have lost them all.

Comments (6)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I am SO jealous!

I wish mine would. But they are pretty unhappy with 20 degrees below zero temps : (

I agree with yoru last statement, gardening things always happen by accident, never when you plan on it
    : )
    I am so antsy for spring!

Keriann~

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

Dahlia growers on the Oregon coast have traditionally dug and divided their tubers in the Spring as they do not get enough cold to freeze dahlias in the ground. For the past two years in a row there have been cold snaps that have frozen tubers before Spring. Two years ago it happened in the first part of December and caught people by surprise.

To be sure, dahlias should be dug and divided before the really cold weather. By the way, you do not have to wait for a killing frost, just cut off the stalks and dig a few days later. The eyes will have swollen and dividing will be very easy. Digging does not need to be done in freezing temperatures.

• sjmarshes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did dig up and store most all of my tubers this past fall. The ones I left were duplicates I had too many of. This has me thinking about planting a bed of duplicates if I have the room to leave over winter next year. I'll mulch them well.

Those tubers I left to freeze looked happier than the ones in storage!

• davemidohio
    13 years ago

The most anxious time of the year starts about now, worrying about whether the tubers made it or not! I am really anxious this year because in the past I would dig up the whole clump and just stick them in the basement in plastic bags. This year I had WAY to many, so I did everything the RIGHT way, dividing the tubers off the clumps, making sure there was an eye, treating with fungicides. I did take a peek last week and some looked pretty good, others looked pretty shriveled. Time will tell! Hope I am lucky, too.

• SusanBlossom
    13 years ago

I wish I could do that overwintering thing. This is my first time at digging up & saving tubers (may I say what a lot of work!). Granted, they were a Costco purchase but the dinner plates were outstanding & gave my mom (& the rest of the fam) such joy with armfuls of bouquets for 2 months! I didn't use fungicide or vermiculite, didn't do any dividing, loosly following some bad directions I saw online. I have LOTS of shriveled tubers & need to really inspect now for eyes. Got any advice?

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

You must live in a dry climate. Time to put the tubers in a plastic bag with some damp potting mix and put them where it is about 75 degrees. If they are alive, in about a week, the eyes will swell and you will have successfully stored them. If it is too early to plant(and I assume you are many weeks away from planting time) put the sprouting tubers back into a cooler storage area.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus