Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbymacbean

Help - rinsed bulbs

bobbymacbean
17 years ago

hi - my dahlias have gotten too thick. i dug up one of the bulb clusters today but the instructions i found on the net did not say anything about not rinsing the bulbs with water which i have just done. after further reading, i discovered that this was not to be done. i plan on dividing the bulbs and putting one in the ground right away (within the next 2 to 5 days). should i bring the bulbs indoors and place in an area with a space heater running to dry them out or just leave them alone ? also, i read somewhere that dahlia bulbs should not be planted where gladiolas have grown. i had a glad planted about a foot from the dahlias. i planned on digging up both the glad bulb and the two dahlia clusters and replanting just one dahlia bulb where the glad was. is this not a good idea and if so, just to satisfy my curiosity, could someone tell me why dahlias should not be planted where a glad has grown ? any advice welcome regarding the present problem and in general. , thanks, bob

Comments (7)

• jroot
    17 years ago

There is nothing wrong with cleaning the tubers. It is often easier to see the eyes for new sprouts when washed. Here in Canada many of us do this every fall. We then let them dry TO THE TOUCH, but not too long, and then dip them in a fungicide or bulb powder to combat fungus, and put them away for the winter.

I would not be using a space heater as that may dry them out too much. It is hard to say whether you should plant right away or not. Is all danger of frost past? If so, plant. If not, let them rest in a cool spot.

I have had glads and dahlias in close proximity with no ill effect.

Hopefully someone else with differing or similar experience will add some comments as well.

• bobbymacbean
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i'm in the west sonoma county area (70 miles north of san francisco and 15 miles inland from the coast). while we did have a couple of weeks of unusually cold weather recently, i'm pretty confident that we're past any freeze danger. thanks for the response. - bob

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

The reason not to grow dahlias & glads together has to do with the fact that glads get thrips easily & can pass them on to the dahlias.

• jeannie7
    17 years ago

Hmm, had never heard of any reason to not plant dahlias near glads. But the thrips idea might be a reason.

In California I would suspect a dahlia can stay in the ground year round. As pointed out, up here in the north zones, dahlia has to be removed AFTER a hard frost and overwintered in a COOL place...after letting them dry for a day or so in the warm sunshine.

For that reason, I avoid purposely wetting the clump further.
    The soil can be flicked off with fingers and put somehwere to dry.
    Further washing wont hurt the clump....just prolongs the drying. For that reason then, I would suggest NOT using artificial means of drying. Let the sun do it by placing them in a place where the sun maybe is not beating down on them...let them dry more naturally.

The 'eyes' will be more obvious tho as the plant is cleaned...but I still woundn't heavy wash them.
    Dampness breeds mildew; so that is cause enough to avoid it.

• flowerfarmer
    17 years ago

The reason it is recommended that dahlias not be planted where gladiolus had been previously is because gladiolus corms may harber botrytis. This is particularly the case in wet weather. It really has nothing to do with insect infestation. A good insecticide program can control insects. Fungi disease such as botrytis is an issue entirely separate from insect infestation.

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

That's strange, Flowerfarmer- our Ag. agent told us if we grew Glads on our farm anywhere, we couldn't get the phytosanitory certificates to ship all over the world because they couldn't certify that there weren't thrips present. So.. we don't grow glads & we do get certified every year.

• hopflower
    17 years ago

You most certainly can rinse the dahlia tubers and let them dry naturally. It will not harm them, just make sure they are dry when you put them away to avoid mould and fungus problems. No space heaters are necessary or recommended. Some people like to dust the tubers with a fungicide.

Gladioli should not be planted near sweet peas, either; thrips and aphis being the main troubles!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH