Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought tubers on internet and trying to find info as to color

Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 0:38

I purchased Dahlia tubers off the internet from a grower located a little over an hours drive from me.

It was a dinner plate size group of tubers. The photos did not have names.

Can anyone tell me about Sadie Dahlia or Emma Elizabeth?

I am disappointed in the tubers as quite a few are shriveled and I can not locate any healthy eyes.

Also, I have been able to ID all but two.

According to the photos, I was supposed to receive a yellow one and a gorgeous red and white peppermint looking one.

I am hoping Sadie or Emma Elizabeth will be them.

So far, I have been able to ID:

Emory Paul-Shriveled
Holly Quintessence-Shriveled
Jackie Evangelista- soft
Jess
Drummer Boy-decent tuber
Spike- very shriveled-probably will not make it
Vassios Meggios -O.K.
Belle of Bamera-slightly shriveled
Bodicious-soft
Show n Tell- Can see an eye
Hilltop Lost Treasure -Can see an eye
Creekside Doc-can see an eye
Bella- Can see an eye
Wyns Cinnabar-shriveled
The seller did include a bonus Pooh Dahlia that looks the best

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought tubers on internet and trying to find info as to color

I would suggest that you place the tubers in slightly moist soilless potting mix in a warm location and then give them a few weeks to break dormancy. If several of them still show no signs of life then you could request replacements. If you care about having named cultivars then you should never buy dahlias that have only pictures without names. There are so many thousands of dahlia cultivars that there are now many that look very similar in pictures but do not have the same genes and may have quite different plant growth characteristics.

o

Thanks,
I have potted them up to see if they break dormancy.
I contacted the seller and she said Sadie is a dark purple and is sending me the peppermint colored one.
I do not care about named cultivars. I like Dinner Plate dahlias in unusual colors and shapes.

o

>> I like Dinner Plate dahlias in unusual colors and shapes.

Then you would probably like Sarah Mae.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here