Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila_newgardener

Help for a newbie

lila_newgardener
17 years ago

I have a beautiful short Dahlia plant in my garden that I bought 2 summers ago at home depot. I knew nothing about gardening, and didn't even know that this plant was a dahlia until about a month ago! Actually, I was shocked (and very happy) when the plant grew back the second summer all by itself without any help from me.

Anyways, after doing some reasearch online, as well as in this forum, I dug up the tubers from my garden today. What a huge mess! The first thing I noticed was that 4 or 5 of the tubers closest to the surface were mush, and squashed like grapes while I was digging them up. Does this mean the whole thing is rotted? The tubers near the bottom seemed normal (which I read somewhere is similar to how a potato would feel if you squeezed it). I just burind the whole big clump back in the dirt because I didn't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice for me? I could dig it up again and post pictures if that would help.. I really liked that plant a lot and would like to save it if I could (especially now that I know that such short dahlia plants are pretty hard to find).

Thanks!

Comments (3)