Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for a newbie

Posted by lila_newgardener washington (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 2:06

I have a beautiful short Dahlia plant in my garden that I bought 2 summers ago at home depot. I knew nothing about gardening, and didn't even know that this plant was a dahlia until about a month ago! Actually, I was shocked (and very happy) when the plant grew back the second summer all by itself without any help from me.
Anyways, after doing some reasearch online, as well as in this forum, I dug up the tubers from my garden today. What a huge mess! The first thing I noticed was that 4 or 5 of the tubers closest to the surface were mush, and squashed like grapes while I was digging them up. Does this mean the whole thing is rotted? The tubers near the bottom seemed normal (which I read somewhere is similar to how a potato would feel if you squeezed it). I just burind the whole big clump back in the dirt because I didn't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice for me? I could dig it up again and post pictures if that would help.. I really liked that plant a lot and would like to save it if I could (especially now that I know that such short dahlia plants are pretty hard to find).
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for a newbie

That's what happens when dahlias don't get dug each year or two at the most-- a big mess that's hard to divide. Go to the post on splitting dahlia tubers posted by jroot last April to see how to divide them.
When all else fails & to get started, you can just whack the clump in half or quarters & start cutting out the rotten ones- just be sure you don't cut the eye parts off of the individual tubers.
The mush means those tubers are goners but some of the lower ones might be OK. The rot will spread if you don't get rid of it.

o

Thanks plantlady2, I guess I will dig it back up and see what I can do.. Wish me luck haha. :)

o

There's more pictures & info on cutting up on the Colorado dahlia Society site starting on the page below.
Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Dahlia Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here