Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias in Virginia - leave in ground?

Posted by coatfetish z6 VA. (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 2:15

Is it possible to leave dahlias in the ground in z6 (Appalachian Mountains) if planted deeply and heavily mulched with dry leaves contained in a wire cage?

I know it sounds lazy, but I am getting older and have health issues that make it harder & harder to dig plants. I am about to get my first dahlia this year - however I am also going to buy a cheapo at Walmart to experiment with, but will dig my first plant (Wyoming Wedding, which I am extremely excited to get!) like I should.

Any thoughts for a first timer on this? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias in Virginia - leave in ground?

There are two keys to getting dahlias to overwinter in the ground in a temperate climate regardless of where you live.

1.) You cannot allow the frost to penetrate to the depth of the tubers. Unlike frost hardy bulbs, daffodils for example, which can actually freeze solid without harm dahlia tubers cannot be allowed to freeze or they will turn to mush and die when they thaw.

2.) The dormant tubers should not be allowed to sit in wet soil. This causes them to rot.

So you should be able to get dahlias to overwinter in your climate if you can meet those two conditions. A heavy mulch of leaves is a good idea and I would also recommend covering the leaves with sheet plastic or a cold frame to keep the soil dry throughout the winter.

o
RE: Dahlias in Virginia - leave in ground?

Thank you for the tips - I will try them out on a Walmart plant to see how I do. I am fortunate to be getting 2 Wyoming Weddings, and I'm going to plant one in the garden and one in a large pot (18" diameter) to see how they compare - then I'll lift them both in the traditional manner. After I see how the experimental "in ground" plant does next year, I may try it with others.
Thanks again for helping a newbie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here