Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Dividing and Pruning question

mandolls
13 years ago

First of all, I grow Dahlias just for my own pleasure, not for show or sale.

I divide my tubers in the fall when I bring them in for storage, and I seem to be doing a decent job of it (thank you Dahlia forum members). I started with 8, which have multiplied to about 75 over the past three years ( though I did purchase a couple more tubers too).

In the spring when I begin to revitalize them I sometimes have tubers that have multiple eyes. The tuber itself is single, but multiple eyes. Does that mean I didn't divide it correctly in the Fall? Is there a way of dividing it further even though it is just one tuber? I dont like the idea of slicing a tuber in half.

The related question is - If you plant a tuber that sends up multiple stems (because it has several eyes) do you let them all grow? or do you prune back all but one?

Last year I had several tubers that sent up 2, 3 and even 4 stems. They seemed to do fine, but I wondered if the plants would be stronger or more floriferous if I didn't allow it. Do people trim them back only to encourage the largest possible blooms? (not a concern for me) or are there other reasons?

Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)