Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Can I store my tubers underground in bags for now?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Please refer to my last thread/post titled: "Problems with stored tubers: Growing roots and some stems"

That described the situation fully, but I got no responses, aside from one person asking where I live, which was listed beside my name, "Mid Atlantic". The temperature in all Mid Atlantic states is roughly the same right now.

But to narrow it down further, I live in SE Pa right now, but will be moving 25 minutes East of here to DE today.

Anyway, the temperature has gone up, we've had a warm winter, and I had my tubers stored in an attic that sits beside my bedroom. It allows me to monitor the temp at any time, but we've had some warm weather. Now its getting into the 60's and maybe even low 70's for a couple days. Then it will get into the 50's and 60's again next week.

But I have to move, so I dont have a good place to keep the tubers cold enough where I'm going, so my only thought is to bury them about 10-12" under ground in their bags and plastic boxes, below the frost line, til I can safely plant them in Late April, or May. Is that an acceptable plan?

Also, some of the thinner, least healthy looking tubers had grown stems, but only about 5 of them did. Will they go dormant again if cold enough and survive even though they are now trying to grow? Also, about 40% of my tubers have grown roots. They range from 1/2" long to 4" long, but are not growing stems yet. Is that OK?

Lastly, will tubers without eyes grow roots? In other words, some tubers with roots appear to have no eyes, is it normal for tubers without eyes to root?

Comments (2)