Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosebacopa2

looking for pinks,whites and purples

rosebacopa2
16 years ago

Lynn here from Minnesota.I have been searching the internet and drooling for days now. There are so many to choose from.

I am interested in what you guys suggest for someone who is looking for pinks, whites, and purples in size B or bigger and also waterlilies. I do need some A's in particular. Sources suggestions are also appreciated!

I have ordered from Connells in the past but so much of what I have found on the Gallery I don't find there.

Thanks for any help!!

Lynn

Comments (5)

• busy-girl
    16 years ago

I tried Swan Island this year...Nice healthy tubers! I only grow for cutting not for showing. I like Brookside snowball and L'ancresse both good reliable whites. April Dawn(pink and white) and Alloway Candy(pink) are good Jessie G. is a nice purple......I could go on forever! Check the fab 50 list or the Cream of the crop list and you will find some reliable varieties.
    Jan

• sturgeonguy
    16 years ago

Again from Swan Island; my 2008 picks in your colors:

Gitts Perfection (AID) - Soft Pink 36"H
    I'm a Hottie (BID) - Hot Pink 60"H
    Iceberg (AAID) - White 36"H
    Lavender Ruffles (AAID) - Lavender 36"H
    Patches (BFD) - Fuchsia tipped White 54"H
    Purple Taiheijo (AAID) - Purple 36"H
    Randi Dawn (BWL) - Pink & White 60"H
    Snowbound (AID) - White 48"H
    Thomas Edison (BFD) - Dark Purple 42"H

Cheers,
    Russ

• chrisrobt
    16 years ago

I'm off today to our local dahlia society tuber sale; they have loads of varieties compared to your big box stores. Also, there are knowledgeable dahlia society members there to help you select what you want/need. The only problem is that I usually buy too many tubers!!

See if there is a local dahlia society and find out if/when they have a tuber sale. You won't be disappointed.

I will try to replace Christine-a lovely pink waterlily I lost this year.

Christine

• vikingcraftsman
    16 years ago

I also grew from Swan Island all were outstanding. White ,Hakuyou and snowbound, pink miss rose fletcher, and purple bold accent, emory paul, these are not true purple but will go well. I have order for this year almand joy,oregon reign,vassio meggos,fremont's memory,orchid lace,thomas edison,lavender ruffles, purple taiheijo, gitts perfection and touch of class. That will fit your color requests. Happy growing.

• Poochella
    16 years ago

Christine R, I was at the PSDA sale at 11:11 and there were a ton of "Christines" available so I hope you nabbed one. Great variety this year!

Rosebacopa in MN: My ideas for waterlilies I've grown:
    Lauren Michelle- great two toned lavender with dark purple reverse that blooms early and a lot. Good tubers too.

Bracken Ballerina- probably on the Fab 50 of show winners in the past, if not now. Lovely pastel pink and white, lots of flowers, good tuber keeper.

White Ballerina- sure wanted to try it but the slugs or something were just drawn to it in the middle of a dahlia plot like magnets! I had it surrounded by everything but an electric fence and they just gnawed it down to nubs til death ensued. I've never had that happen to a single cultivar of dahlia in all the years of growing them.

Sandia Shomei was a lovely lavender and white waterlily that bloomed in nice flushes but didn't keep well for me. Bloomed early.

Purples B'ish sized as I don't have time to look up all sizes: Jennifer's Wedding, JAX CHAR (I really loved that bold color,) Mary, Lavender Perfection, Lilac Time, Thomas Alva Edison (is a great color but late to bloom here,) Emory Paul was very late here and not worth the wait for me, Wyn's Garden Glow is a fluffy, rich lavender with gold centers that bloomed early and often for a large dahlia. Spike is a large white, also available at Wynne's Dahlias, White Perfection is a common white "dinnerplate" dahlia that does well, and I really liked Yuukyu, a B sized white ID I grew last year. Gitts Attention is a BB white with split tips that is a nice white addition.

Otto's Thrill is a large pink with yellow undertones that is pretty reliable.
    Pretty in Pink was my favorite new hot pink from last year, available at Wynne's Dahlias. Bloomed early and often.

Alloway Candy is a wonderful more pastel pink and white stellar bloom that produces a fair number of flowers.
    Ditto for Miss Rose Fletcher in a small cactus, but perfect pastel pink and wonderful form.

If you can go smaller to ball form 4" dahlias, don't miss Mary's Jomanda in hot pink, Brookside Snowball already mentioned and Robann Royal which was a great rich lavender/purple last year. I haven't had much luck with Jessie G for two years' running, but I know people rave about it elsewhere.

There are so many more out there. Check out the "Big List" by name or "How to Find Them" at the Colorado Dahlias Society website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look Here for all kinds of dahlia information

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area