Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice. 1st time dahlia grower

Posted by oldpeony 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 11:07

Could someone give me some advice. I purchased several unnamed mixed dahlias (also dutch iris & yellow tiger lily) on e-bay and would like to start them in pots...maybe never planting them in the ground but just moving them around in my flower beds. Is this possible? And should I pot them now? Any added nutrients, etc.? I live in southeast Iowa. Thanks for any help. Have a great day dreaming about all those beautiful spring and summer flowers! My fern-leaf peonies are sticking their noses through the ground already!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice. 1st time dahlia grower

If I were going to try what you envision, I definitely would plant only one tuber, not a clump, in a pot. Further, You are going to need to put the tuber in a rather large (12") CLAY pot. (If you put the tuber in a plastic pot you will need to water daily, for they need lots of water, and fertilizer.) Unless they are minatures they will have to be staked, another problem if you are going to move them about. Upon reflection , I guess it isn't such a great idea, but don't let me stop you. It might work out better than I project. (I have grown dahlias for years, and up to 200 a year.) Good luck--let me know how you make out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here