Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randeld

Karma dahlia

randeld
10 years ago

I am new to raising dahlias. I see dahlias called Karma dahlias. What are different about these.

Randy

Comments (5)

• teddahlia
    10 years ago

Karma Dahlias are a series of low growing dahlias developed by a Dutch grower by the name of Aad Vewer. They are all patented varieties and cannot be sold unless royalties are paid. The Dutch dahlia growers sell thousands of rooted cuttings to large nurseries in the USA who grow them in pots to nearly blooming size and sell them. The plants grown in the greenhouses are usually sprayed with a chemical that causes the plants to bloom early and not grow tall. The effects of the chemical wear off soon and when planted in the ground they grow quite a bit taller. The most popular of the varieties is one called Karma Choc that has dark foliage and dark red flowers. Most people consider these varieties to be garden flowers, meaning that they look very good in the garden. Some of the Karma varieties are grown as cut flowers too. Karma varieties are not generally available as dahlia tubers because of the patent issue.

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

They are sold as bulbs here in Germany/Switzerland/ Netherlands.
    I grow Dahlia just for my own cut flowers, in rows. Last year I grew Karma Chok, which was as healthy and happy as my other 12 cultivars. Stem length on the medium side, about 3-4 feet tall, disbudding helped.
    Personally I think they are tricky to combine in bouquets being dark-burgundy-black.

Two years ago I had K. Fuchsiana or Naomi, which was good as well.

Bye, Lin

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I bought Karma Chocolate in a bag of tubers from Costco.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I also bought this bag which includes karma Chocolate and Glorie Van something. Of the 5 bulbs included for KC, only one has produced eyes so far. The Glorie ones are more vigorous. All of them have eyes. I am starting to understand that dahlias have different degrees of vigor. Last year, I bought some dahlias from Swan Island and some did very well and some did very poorly. I might have wrongly blamed Swan Island for sending me bad bulbs when it was the varieties/genes of the bulbs that was the problem.

This post was edited by kousa on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 16:09

• teddahlia
    10 years ago

Nobody bought Karma Chocolate as the name is Karma Choc.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations