Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias in time for June 28 wedding

Posted by marylennox 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 11:42

What are my chances of having dahlias blooming in time for my daughter's June 28 wedding in zone 4? I want to have the beds full of the apricot peach and raspberry colors of her wedding, mostly for the gift-opening but also possibly for extras for her reception. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias in time for June 28 wedding

Unfortunately I didn't keep a daily record last year, but by June 19th, here in Zone 5A, I had Mary Jo, China Doll, and Park Princess in bloom. I did, however, start them indoors on March 5th. So that was more than 3 months until bloom time.

So, if you got them right away, got them started indoors, and kept them inside in pots until you were absolutely sure there'd be no outside frost, you could probably make it with some early blooming varieties.

Of those I considered (which I have the data for on-hand), here are a few named choices that are stated as being early bloomers:

China Doll (Cream and Rose)
Firepot (Orange & Yellow)
Neon Splendor (Flame Orange)
Smarty Pants (Red)
Mary Jo (Salmon)
Touche' (Salmon)
Tahiti Sunrise (Yellow & Rose Red)

I'm sure there are lots of others that bloom early.

By the way, if you start them in 10" plastic pots, you could leave them in there until after the wedding yet still "plant" them outside in garden beds. Just dig a hole about half as deep as the pot and sit the pot in the hole. This would be a variation on pot tubers, but it would avoid the possibility that the stems break from the tubers while trying to transplant them. They should all grow perfectly fine in the pots through to the end of the season.

Cheers,
Russ

o
RE: Dahlias in time for June 28 wedding-a

I just double-checked. I didn't pay the duty on the tubers until March 16th last year, and I now remember putting them in the fridge for a week if not two before they were finally potted up to start inside. So they were basically started around now and were in bloom on June 19th.

Cheers,
Russ

o
RE: Dahlias in time for June 28 wedding

I am in zone 4 - last years tubers were started inside mid-April - blooms not earlier than mid-July.

Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here