Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenobia0000_gw

Last ditch effort, any advice?

zenobia0000
15 years ago

I never planted dahlias before, but I got some tubers last year that went unplanted and were stored in my crawlspace.

I was cleaning it out this year and found them. Many of them looked like they were dormant. Some were dead, like all mushy, but I cracked some of the others open and they seemed "alive" inside. (I didn't use those.)

So i planted in some containers, not very deep. I watered them a bit, but have since left them alone, in some shade.

I don't really expect them to live, but i did it on the off-chance that they might. What can I do to help them, if anything?

Any advice is much appriciated!

Thanks,

Larisa

Comments (5)

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Get them into some light. Not many plants I know of that sprout well with shade...;-]

Dahlias should ideally get 14 hours of day light. That is not to say they won't grow with a lot less, of course they will, but the more light the better. Also, keep them in a warm location (75F is very good) and reasonably higher humidity (60%-70% is best.)

So give them as close to that environment as you can and I'll bet they will come up. I love the story from Corey, I think, last year telling us about the Dahlia that grew in an outdoor garbage pail after being thrown away as "dead"...

Cheers,
    Russ

• zenobia0000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, i have them in a vinyl sort of greenhouse and i can definatly move them into the sun, should i water them or keep them dry, i see a lot about not overwatering them...

• homemommy
    15 years ago

Where they placed outside past your frost dates? What do you expect your bottom temps have been since placing them outside?

If they have frozen, they may be gonners. Otherwise, Dahlias seem to be rather tough little buggers, definately give them more time before calling them out as gonners!

• zenobia0000
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, they were in my crawlspace in the winter and it did freeze, but i don't think anything froze there.

i planted them in some pots just recently, it hasn't frozen and will not freeze (god i hope!)

so how much should I water them?

• homemommy
    15 years ago

Dahlias don't like to be really "wet" or really "dry".

I find with mine, I water them so that the water pours out of the bottom of the pots, then I let them dry, even when the top of the soil looks dry, it is often not time to water again, I stick a finger tip in the soil and if it feels damp I leave it. Usually a dry top means it will need to be watered within 1-3 days...

If the tubers feel firm and solid, then chances are they did not freeze.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA