Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

What to do with sprouting dahlias until planting time?

coatfetish
11 years ago

Hi ~

I am brand new to dahlias, and I bought two packages at Walmart and they are firm & healthy tubers, but they have already started growing. The stems are 1 or 2 inches tall. I temp. potted them loosely in their own peat that they were packed in, and put them by the window. Should I plant them in a mix of the peat and my garden soil? Will they get too leggy by the window - I have raised lights for my aquariums that I could put them under. It would be stronger concentrated light only inched above the tubers. (The light bulbs are very similar to grow lights - my tanks have live plants).

Also, I have two tiny tubers (3" long, 1/2" wide), each with a live eye that's just barely budding. I got them from the hybridizer and want these to live most of all. He said to remove the tubers from the wood shavings they were shipped in and place them back in their plastic bag until all chance of frost is over (I understand how important it is to avoid frost). However they are a bit soft & not firm like the store bought ones. They are also a bit wrinkly like they are starting to shrivel. Would they be better off if I went ahead and planted them indoors? I don't want them to either shrivel up or start rotting. Help! I really want these from the hybridizer to make it!

My last frost date isn't until mid - late May, so I have a long haul ahead of me! I thought if I preplanted them indoors, I could set the pots out on warm days and bring them in at night or if there is a frost warning. Good idea or bad?

thanks for your help!

Comments (3)