Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of tubers matter?

Posted by nofaves Zone 3a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 13:08

Hello all. My first time last year I tried a dahlia tuber purchased from a big box store (pink topmix). I planted the whole mass in a pot, and was rewarded with an even bigger mass at summer's end. I've just checked my tubers, and most look well, yet I only have space to grow a couple this year (renting but moving to a home with a larger yard later this summer-yippee), and am wondering, when choosing which tuber to plant and taking into account I can see eyes on my selections, does a bigger tuber give a more robust plant than a smaller one? My inclination is to try one bigger and one smaller to experiment unless I'm lead otherwise by wiser opinions. Thanks in advance for you time, I've enjoyed reading all these informative posts.

L.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of tubers matter?

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 22:38

Some of my large dinnerplate dahlias have surprisingly small tubers. Others have large ones. I think the quality of the soil you plant in will have significant bearing upon the size of your plant. That coupled with the genus of the dahlia are determining factors. Remember the genes of some dahlias will have them grow small, while others will grow fairly tall. I have planted several dahlias in large pots in the past, and moved them where I want them. You may decide to do just that in your situation.

o
RE: Size of tubers matter?

Tuber size does not matter. You will get the same size plant from a 1" long tuber as a 10" long tuber. The genetics are in the tuber, I use the small tubers as I can fit them in styrofoam coffee cups to start them growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here