Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humboldtgreg

plant in pots or wait?

humboldtgreg
16 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I've read the forum for a few months now and am just amazed at the amount of knowledge and great advice given. This is my first post and am relatively new to gardening with dahlias.

I was given 5 large clumps (up to 16" in diameter and 12" deep) last fall. I followed some of the advice posted and divided each behemoth into ~4 sections (yes, I did buy a machete). I now have 5 large boxes filled with clumps. I held off on dividing these into smaller sections as very few eyes were present and I'm a novice.

They have been in cracked-open plastic bags/boxes in the garage (~45 deg F). Some are sprouting and roots developing. The new roots are fuzzy...is that normal or is my storage medium too wet.

Question: The ground is still wet...should I put the tuber clumps in potting soil in the garage now or are they fine in the bag until the ground is ready?

Because of the size and number of clumps, I was hoping to plant directly into the ground. If I pot them, I will need some big pots. Outside temp is in the 40's and I don't think we will get another frost and it is still raining a lot.

Thank you,

humboldt greg

Comments (3)