Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia-Dinnerplate, to pot

Posted by juanital 5b/6a OH (juanitalwr@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 13:39

or not? As your eagerly awaiting spring the stores are getting in the bulbs, seeds, etc...Well I couldn't pass it up! a dinnerplate Dahlia!

Now, what do I do with it?- as it is still to cold to put out in garden. Our last frost dates is April and has frosted in May. Will potting up now and setting on back enclosed porch be okay?

On other dahlias they seem to not grow well waiting after frost date as in maturing, has flowered but not alot...

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia-Dinnerplate, to pot

I planted in pot and put in a cool room. What I've read, do not water...Will see how it goes!

Happy Gardening!!!

o

You may want to be extra vigilant about pruning this plant as it grows to keep it from getting too tall otherwise the large blooms might make the pot prone to tipping over.

o

Plant in the smallest pot they easily fit into, cover with soil and water once. Leave it alone for two or so weeks when it will sprout. After sprouting you may begin watering but be careful not to over water. Put it in a sunny spot or under lights until you plant it in the garden. Make sure to harden off when transitioning to out door conditions. By starting a month early indoors you may get another month of blooms. As mentioned by steve22802, large dahlias and a little wind will tip a pot over outside. I have two broken pots as proof. Either plan it in the ground or otherwise secure your pot.

Happy dahlia growing
Beverly

o

Thank you Steve and Beverly!

I did water once and put in cool dry place. Well, acouple days as I was moving pots around I discovered it had grown about 7 inches tall! I was surprised!

We are still getting cold weather and nite time freezing temps. Winter seems to just want to hold on!

Is it okay to trim back now or wait for establishment in the ground? (probably near end of April)

Kind Regards

o

Yes, it's ok to trim it back while it is still in the pot but you could let it grow a little bigger. I would let it grow to around 12 inches and then cut it back to just above the 3rd node.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here