Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scared of screwing up...

Posted by allie2577 5 NH (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 14:39

Hi everyone..
this is my first year planting dahlia tubers.. last year i grew some from seed which came out nice, and so began my addiction to dahilas..
i ordered some tubers online and was planning on starting them indoors next month. and since ive never seperated the tubers before, i got some at walmart the other day to practice on. but i didnt see any eyes on them.. so i seperated them as best as i could and planted them in peat pots today.
anyway.. i guess im looking for some good tips so i dont screw any of the expensive ones i bought online...
thanks
allie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scared of screwing up...

Welcome, Allie. Good news: depending on where you ordered your tubers they will likely be single dahlia tubers with no dividing necessary. Or they might be similar to what you get at Walmart, a little multi-fingered conglomerate known as potroots. Those are generally smaller they're usually not easily divided. Grow just as well as regular tubers though.

I usually wait to see little nubs of growth on any dahlias to make sure they've got some life in them. It's easy to encourage them to sprout. Just place them with the central stem area exposed, and the rooty parts buried in a pot of barely damp soil or potting mix. Put them in a bright room and you should see growth in a few days, sometimes longer, depending on the variety.

The biggest thing to avoid is planting in cold, wet soil. Put them in pots or flats or whatever until your garden area is warmed up. Using paper-lined pots is a very easy way to get them started and then just slip them into the garden when ready. See the link below for photos.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jroot's thread on dividing & making paper pots

o
RE: scared of screwing up...

thanks alot for the advice poochella..i've been doing a lot of research and ive been reading all the threads.. im just afraid my thumb isnt as green as my head is!! Visions of blooming dahlias keep me awale at night...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here