Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdshop

fertilizer search

pdshop
16 years ago

Hi, I have just been to two major plant places tlo find a 5-10-10 or 10-20-20 granular fertilizer to put into the soil before I put in the tubers. No such luck. There are a zillion fertilizers out there and none with those numbers. One man told me the 5-10-10 at Agaway (their brand) was a fast acting fertilizer and could burn the plants? I would just like to use one fertilizer for the whoe garden this year and not have a garage wull of try outs. I do use higher N on the plants that need it. So Ipsoma, Garden Tone, etc, didn't have anything. Can you help?

Comments (12)

• linht
    16 years ago

Hi pd,

When I ordered before from Brecks, the tubers came with the 5-10-10 pellets. I believe the fertilizer alone can be ordered at Brecks too. They are to be mixed in the soil during planting and did not burn the plants. I don't know about other plants but my dahlias appreciated the 5-10-10 during planting.

• daleyc
    16 years ago

Hi pdshop

Here's a link
    It's not a granular but it might do.

http://www.amazon.com/ANDERSONS-THE-5M-5-10-10-
    Fertilizer/dp/B000BZ6M88

Also, if you're interested, someone recommended a tomato fertilizer spike with a low nitrogen #. You can't beat the convenience

MIRACLE-GRO" PLANT FOOD SPIKE
    1.1 oz. spikes
    Lasts up to 60 days
    6-12-6 plus micronutrients
    Carded

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(k41vui55do0oga55e4p1pn55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=7006638

Jobes 18 pk.
    Waterproof & resealable pouch
    8-24-8

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-jobes-tomato-fertilizer-spikes-jobes-tomato-fertilizer-spikes-price-2--pi-1335046.html

Dale

• pdshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the info. I will keep looking. I gues I could ask one of the big growers what they use.

• Poochella
    16 years ago

Swan Island carries Lily Miller 6-30-30. You might even be able to find this popular brand locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: 6-30-30

• daleyc
    16 years ago

Hi pdshop, again

I thought your idea of ferilizing the whole garden bed was a good one. I'm just curious. Would you mind telling me why the 5-10-10 didn't work for you?

Thanks so much!

Dale

• pdshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't say it didn't work did I? I am trying to keep the Nitrogen lower than the other two. You can find it out there. I just want to use one thing this year and not a qhole bundle.

• dahliagardener
    16 years ago

We get 10-20-20 at our local feed store- do you have a feed store handy? If so, ask them- it's what all the farmers use on their crops & WAY less expensive than ordering from Brecks or Swan Island or even getting from a big box store.
    Ellie

• pdshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I did ask at Agway about their 5-10-10 and they said it would burn plants for some reason. I think that if the fertilizer is put into the ground early like we are supposed to, I would just use bone meal to put with your tuber? Of course the ground is frozen here so I can't get the 5-10-10 into the ground a month before I have to plant!

• dahliagardener
    16 years ago

Agway is nuts! Just mix the fertilizer well in the bottom of the hole & throw about 1/2" of soil on top before you put the tuber in. If 10-20-20 doesn't burn the plants- & it doesn't- then 5-10-10 won't!
    Don't put the fertilizer in the ground early- the Nitrogen will be all gone before you plant. Just throw it all in the hole, mix really well, add a little soil then plant the tuber. The feeder roots will hit the fertilizer about a month later & give the plant the boost it needs.
    Ellie

• linht
    16 years ago

After asking the right people, I think I can actually locate a feed store 30 min. away from me where I may be able to find some 5-10-10 or 10-20-20. My question is, how do you put into the soil at time of planting? Is 1 cup of 5-10-10 or 1/2 cup of 10-20-20 the right amount per plant?

• pdshop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh My God, this is getting complicated. I am going back and get the 5-10-10 at the feed store and than later when things bud I will switch to the 6-30-30 that Poochella suggested. It only comes in a little tub though. I checked at Swan.

• sturgeonguy
    16 years ago

The only fertilizer I used last year was a small handful of bone meal in the bottom of each tuber hole. Worked great!

I should add that my sprinkler system gets its water from the lake, so there were likely additional nutrients being delivered via the water. My bay is very calm, shallow, and has 2' of mud on the bottom so its nutrient rich, I believe.

Cheers,
    Russ

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor