Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did my dahlias die?

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:50

I bought some dahlias from walmart in January and I immediately planted them because they were already sprouting, but I haven't seen any movement out of them since, did they die? did I plant them too soon? we still haven't had our last frost yet.

I'm in zone 7b, north central AL

I've never had dahlias before

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did my dahlias die?

Dahlias like warm soil. They are not going to do any more growing until your soil warms up. They were sprouting in Walmart because it was warm and they sensed that it was time to grow. Usually people wait until near the last frost date to plant dahila tubers. Note that the tubers are not frost hardy so you will likely not be able to leave them in the ground next winter in your climate without special protection.

o

oh no. i bet they died in our frosts. :(

o

Oh yeah, I see you said you planted them back in January not right now. They probably froze and are now mush. You might as well dig them up and see for yourself what condition they are in. January is kind of early for Walmart to be selling dahlias but then again some people (like me) start them in pots indoors and then transplant them out around the last frost date to get a head start. The easiest and safest way to grow them is to plant the tuber outside after the last frost date but then you get flowers much later in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here