Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Western Washington Dahlia Newbie - Tips

Posted by pacnwgrdngirl z8 WA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 15:20

Hello, I am in love with Dahlias, they grow so beautifully here in the Pac NW! This season will be my first one with the big ones. I live on the Olympic Peninsula near Bremerton. I was just wondering when people around here plant their tubers? Do you start them early in pots? It is pretty mild here, last frost is March 20th. I got Thomas Edison, Minnesota, and Le Baron. Is it necessary to lift them in the fall here? I had my little garden ones come back without lifting. Any tips and advice are much appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Western Washington Dahlia Newbie - Tips

You can start them early in pots or flats if you like. Plant out when the soil is 60* & they'll take right off. If you plant when the soil is too cold they'll just sit there & if it gets too wet, they'll rot. (wet?? In W. WA???>:)
You're taking chances by not digging in the fall but you could try mulching really deeply- if you have some nice favorites you should dig them just to be sure they don't get frozen over the winter.

o

Hi, I am on Vashon Island so probably about the same zone as you, 8b. I have been leaving my dahlias in the ground over winter for 7 year now, with none lost from freezing. I do put a straw mulch over them when the temp is dropping below 25 but just dug up some that I had left in an old garden and not mulched this winter and they were fine. My soil does drain well, however. I loose a lot more if I dig them up!

o

I am in Silverdale, WA and I have had a Dahlia come back twice on its own without being dug up as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here