Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raekae_gw

Drought Conditions

raekae
10 years ago

I started some Figaro Dahlias a few weeks ago. The are ready to transplant, but I am debating whether to plant them in the garden or into large containers. I have around 20 plants started. Due to the drought in California, some water companies around my area are mandating 50% reduction in water use and limiting the time where you can water individual plants or trees outdoors from 7pm to 10am, using buckets or drip irrigation only. Currently, I am not under these restrictions, but there is a large chance it will happen in the future.

I was thinking that if I planted in containers, I would be able to include water saving crystals. Also, containers could be set closer to the house. The other option would be to plant the dahlias in the garden where I have two wine barrel halves buried in the ground. Since those are containers, I think I could add the water crystals to them. I'm not sure about it, since I haven't used them before. Has anyone had experience with these? I don't think the wine barrels would accommodate all the plants I have as well. I do have an old drip irrigation system in need of repair. I am worried that the cost of fixing the irrigation will be expensive, but I would be able to plant the dahlias in a larger area. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone else that is being affected by the drought? Have you made changes to conserve water?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012