Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Dahlia from Home Depot

davemichigan
13 years ago

Hi, this is really a newbie question, but I just bought a dahlia from Home Depot. The ground is still frozen here in Michigan, and the last frost date for my area is April 15.

My question is what should I do with the tuber in the mean time? Do I have to water/moist it from time to time?

(And same situation/question with peony too if anyone also happens to grow peony).

Comments (4)

• mandolls
    13 years ago

If you purchased tubers in a bag they probably are in wood shavings or something to help hold moisture. If the tubers look plump and firm, just put them in a brown paper bag and put them somewhere cool, but over 40 degrees, and they will hold easily until you are ready. I have occasionally purchased tubers from big box stores that were pretty dried out, if that is the case, moisten the shavings a little (like a damp sponge) and they will start to re-hydrate.

Alternatively you could go ahead and plant them in pots and get them going so that when you plant them they are already going. Last year I planted up most of my tubers in pots about a month before I could put them in the ground, I got flowers appreciably earlier.

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mandolls, thanks for your reply.

If I grow them in pots now, how much light do they need indoor?

Will SE bay windows be enough for dahlias? I guess I can move them to the NW windows in the afternoon if needed since there is only 1 or 1.5 months left before last frost.

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

If you are going to store these small tubers clumps until they can be planted, put them into a PLASTIC bag to preserve what moisture they have. You could add a bit of water but they should be OK in the plastic bag even at room temperature. Dahlias do not re-hydrate real well so best not to dry them out in the first place.

• mandolls
    13 years ago

Its true they dont like to be dried out. I was assuming that they came in plastic bags (any I have seen at the big box stores were packaged that way). I have however had some luck with rehydrating dried out tubers. Soaking them in water for a few hours before planting them up helped, and most of them sprouted.

Dave - Once the tubers come up through the soil, (which will take a while if you plant them 6 inches deep), the more sun they get the better, However, last year mine did not get a lot of sun in the only window I had available, and they all did fine. Once it warms up, if you can move them outside (light shade at first) during the day, it will help.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH