Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nip off leggy sprouts on newly potted tubers?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 16:47

I just potted my dahlias to get a head start before planting them outside in late May.
Most of them have leggy sprouts: some as long as 6 inches, and of course, curvy from being inside the bag. I did not have long sprouts last year, just some short shoots and eyes.

This is despite my planting them a bit early compared to last year, plus doing it only 3 days after buying them. I had been calling around to stores to see when they came in, and got them right after they showed up, which I did to get them before they.sprouted. I hate to think what people will find they have if they wait and dont pot them up now.

Whats the best thing to do now? Should I cut off the leggy sprouts, or just nip the tips? None have leaves: it looks like the leaves broke off in the bags. I can see where the leaf stems attached. Normally I start nipping after 2-3 pairs of leaves to make them bushy. I dont want any to be tall, though they often end up that way anyway. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nip off leggy sprouts on newly potted tubers?

I'd cut off the sprouts right down next to the tuber. They'll throw up new, healthy green growth very quickly.

Teresa

o

Should I cut them all off? Or just the long ones? Whats a keeper vs a chop-ee? Like, chop everything longer than an inch, or with broken off leaf stems?

o

Give them light and wait and see. The ends of the sprouts should open up into leaves and you should see the buds of new leaves in the tip. As long as this is the case, no problems, they'll do fine without cutting, or, they can make fine cuttings too.

6" isn't long and spindly to my way of thinking for a Dahlia.

Cheers,
Russ

o

The problem is that they arent vertical. Since they were sprouting in the bag they are all more or less growing sideways. There was a limit as to how much I could straighten the tuber cluster in each pot since I was trying to keep the original (last years) stem upright. Now that they "know" which way is "up" they will undoubtedly turn up, but that will be at the tip of a laying-down section. (Unless I make them little bonsai crutches from popsicle sticks?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here