Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Problems with stored tubers: Growing roots and some stems!

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I have now had my tubers in 3 boxes for over 3 months in my attic, which connects to the side of my bedroom. I have them stacked just inside the door, with a thermometer right there.

Inside the boxes, they are separated by type and placed in semi-moist peat moss, in layers, with 2/3 of them inside plastic grocery bags, and the rest inside a plastic box. The ones in the grocery bags can breathe a bit. I was told contradictory info about using plastic. Some sites said definitely yes, the others say no.

So I allowed 2/3 to breathe a little, and the last 1/3 are closed inside a plastic box but with an air space.

The temp in there can be controlled by cracking the door to raise it, and closing the door to lower it. But we have had a warm winter, and 2 weeks ago it got up to 58 F one day and 63 the next. I came home the evening of the first warm day(58F) to find the attic temp at 60 F. So I got worried and moved them into the refrigerator at 42 F for 36 hours til the warm weather ended. But we have had days in the lower 50's, when the temp in the attic gets up to 55 or so.

But at night, it always drops back into the 40's, so i didnt think it would be a big problem. Plus, its also been colder like right now at 40 f outside, and 50 f in the attic at daytime.

So today I checked the plastic box to see how they looked. thats the 1st time I've checked THAT box. I noticed that about 40% were growing at least some roots, with some growing tiny roots and others growing longer roots.

But then I noticed that about 15% of them had grown stems as well. What was strange was that only the skinny, less healthy looking tubers are the ones growing stems, and the thicker tubers are not. maybe thats because since they are thinner(1/2") they warm up faster and come out of dormancy, while the thicker ones dont warm up as fast. But thats only a guess.

So anyway, I am wondering if they will go back into dormancy even though a few have grown stems of 1-6" if kept cold? Also, will tubers that dont have eyes still grow roots?

But most importantly, my landlord is now selling the house, so I have to move out in 3 days(she gave me 25 days notice), and I dont have a new place to store these tubers that will reliably stay cold. It's only early March, and they cant be grown outside til about early May(2 months away), so they MUST be kept dormant! My only idea so far is to dig a deep hole in the woods behind my Moms house, and bury them in their boxes and bags to keep them dry, and leave them there under the frost zone for 2 months or so.

What do you think? Thanks... I dont want to lose them.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH