Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misslucinda

Where's my friend Jroot?

misslucinda
16 years ago

I've been doing a bunch of research on (besides Dahlias) Canna, elephant ears and brugmansia (sp?). Jroots name and the fact he lives in a most unforgiving zone, keeps popping up. You there fella? I am a canna admirer too.

Best regards to you and all the work you do for your tropical garden, ML

Comments (10)

• jroot
    16 years ago

I'm still here, checking in occasionally.

I should be starting my dahlias this coming week, as well as cannas. This hard winter has caused me to back up their starting.

I have indeed loved the tropical look. It does take a lot more work than most folks want to put in however, and does require more watering.

Since I have retired "again" from my second career, I should have more time this summer to rebuild the garden so it is less labour intensive. It will involve moving a lot of plants so the more water needy ones can be accessed with more focussed and automatic watering. Unfortunately, I may have to let some ( just some ) of my brugmansias go.

We are still under several feet of snow in most of the garden area here, but it is receding quickly. How goes the garden preparation in New York?

• pdshop
    16 years ago

Hi, I also do cannas.They have wonderful colors to go along with the dahlias especially the leaves. They can make one mean corm (?) though. Huge!! I have not received mine yet . I got an orange with speckled flowers and striped leaves to go along with the others I already have. I have had them winter over but not this year.

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to see you're still checking in.

In NY? Well, no snow here. Very chilly nights though and I divided and semi-divided the more slow to eye up dahlias last week and have them in trays and potting soil.

Am working on trying to rehabilitate some old beds in the back as I've really run out of space by the house. We have this very invasive Japanese Sedge grass here which is an annual but seeds prolifically (right, that's why it's an invasive dumb girl)so I am noodling on that one.

Yes, I loved romping through my little jungle last summer but the watering and the digging up can be tedious. I guess one can go the the gym or the garden for a workout!

• jroot
    15 years ago

Have you started your dahlias yet, Misslucinda?

I will be starting mine, tomorrow.

How is the weather in NY? I am taking my sister and my wife ( am I crazy ? ) on a quick trip to North East Pennsylvania near Scranton. Do you think we will get into snow there?

• pdshop
    15 years ago

I have a question. I have to admit that I have taken the easy way out by buying my dahlias each year. This time I have saved them all. I am in MA. the snow has just left the ground. What do I do with the tubers now to get them to show eyes? Thanks

• jroot
    15 years ago

Hello, pdshop,

I started another link to show how I get mine to sprout inside. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting dahlias inside

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

You answered to soon Jroot , I had this big explantion of what exit you were stuck at on the LIE. On your way to help me dig up my dahlias from last years garden. I have started putting my dahlias in the poly house. I got the wife out of the house for some air. We sat on the driveway where we spent last summer surronded by dahlias. So a new season has started here on the island.

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hiya John!

Well, I am actually in New York city this week and am running around with just a blazer..they say it's 45 to 55 and it feels more like 65 degrees. But then I am a mighty fast walker so that keeps me warm. Snow? Even in the rare case it happens you'll have a great trip. Have fun.

Before I left I put my Canna in a flat but haven't brought up the dahlia from the basement. Oh well...

Best to you Jroot.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Thanks jroot. I will have to do this in stages as I don't have much sun yet. I might be able to rig something up in the cellar under the flourescent lights. I will have to get something high and than put the tubers on it to get them closer to the lights?

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

I am only at exit 65 misslucinda.