Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Your favorites

proudgm_03
15 years ago

What are your favorite dahlias and which ones did you just have to have this year?

Comments (21)

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Ok I will start this off. I did not just have one. I loved Gitts perfection,GrandFanale and Envy. But for my overall favorite from the 2008 garden was black satin. I grew arabian night back in the 80ties. Black Satin is the closes I have found to that dahlia. I have over 400 tubers to deal with this year. With taking care of a very sick wife my time is lemited. So I buried my wanting any more dahlias for this year until I see how I handle what I have to do. Got to keep up beat not just beat. LOL

• oscarthecat
    15 years ago

Hi Viking, my wife entered a nursing home in December so my time in the garden will also be somewhat limited. Sartacus, Vassio Megos and Lovely Lana were great last year. Farmer John,Wynne's Delta Frank and Magic Moment will be new this year. Thanks for contributing. Steve in Baltimore County.

• Poochella
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to hear both of you have had illness or infirmity added to your list of worries. Hope both the ladies are well enough to enjoy the fruits of your gardening labors and that you each get the time you want in the garden too.

I have many favorites; too many to list. But it sure is fun unpacking them and getting excited about the new season. Last year, Colorado Classic was my favorite new dahlia. For 2009 'had' to add Hollyhill Electra, Chimacum Julia, Mango Sunset, Aztec Gold for color and Wyn's Pink Flamingo, Wyn's Dark Dancer and Wyn's Spicy because I like the incurved cactus form. There are a few other new ones I've forgot but added lots of yellows, oranges, lavenders, dark reds.

Back to the great unveiling of the tubers.

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

I forgot I ordered Farmer John for this years garden. Haven't had time to get to the post office to pick it up. Probaly do that tomarrow.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

I adore Show and tell, Peaches and Dreams, Taum Sauk, Gloriosa,Crazy Leggs, Up Town Girl. I get a few deep reds and black reds, purples and yellows. That's it!

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

You got me excited so I went and pick up my dahlias from the post office. There were two suprises in the box Wyn's Dark Dancer and Wyn's Dapper DAD. Dark Dancer will fit in very well in the front garden. The neighbors will be staring at it all summer long.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! You have given me many to look at and decide what I want. Keep them coming.

• annabeth
    15 years ago

Hello. Isn't this time of year almost as exciting as bloom time? I just ordered mine and I was almost too late! A lot of places are already shut down for the season or about to on March 15th.

As for 2008 favorites:

Spartacus
    {{gwi:635716}}

L'ancresse
    {{gwi:635718}}

But my overall favorite was Robin Hood
    {{gwi:630258}}

For 2009, I had to go with one of Poochella's favorites: Hillcrest Kismet. I also really wanted Urchin, Worton Blue Streak, Esmerelda, and Alpen Bill. On one vendor's recommendation, I also ordered for the sake of cut flowers: Parkland Tribute, CG Coral, Kenora Jubilee, Martina, and Bo-De-O. Despite it's finicky nature, I ordered a pot root of Camano Cloud. I think I might be disappointed because I've heard it's really hard to grow well, but I think I will always regret it if I don't try. Camano Cloud was one of the first Dahlias that really grabbed my eye a few years back when I discovered them.

I'm already forming ideas for next year's 2010 order. I recently saw photos of Hollyhill Dark Victory and Hollyhill Chloe that look wonderful. I want to try Rokewood Opal and Citron Du Cap and Imperial Wine and...I know there is more but I better stop. I think I've been hooked on Dahlias for sure now.
    Annabeth

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Annabeth you are amoung friends here. We all have a Dahlia addiction.

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Robinhood is a wonderful dahlia for blooms, stems, and tuber hardiness for storage. CG Coral: you won't be disappointed, Annabeth. It's an early bloomer in a wonderful color. Good for tuber production too.
    Hillcrest Kismet- you may as well plan your dahlia future around that one. It's my screen saver photo and I'm thrilled to see it every time I fire up the computer. Urchin is a most frilly little beast in a unique wine color; very nice.

Camano Cloud and Hollyhill Chloe are beautiful from searching for their photos. I didn't look up the others you mentioned because I might be too tempted to extend the ordering season here :)

Good luck on your 2009 dahlia season.

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I am really hoping to see my dinner plate Lilac time bloom this year, and also I picked up a "Black Wizard". Really excited about that one!

• monet_g
    15 years ago

I am new to this forum, however, I have been reading all the posts on the "side line". I've been growing a couple of dahlias (the incorrect way) for quite a few years. I have to admit after seeing Wyn's Moonlight Sonata this year it was all over and I knew that I had to take this Dahlia thing seriously just to do these beauties justice. Thanks to the information on this forum and independent research I had confidence to order quite a few, including some of the ones you listed above. Basically just starting out, I had to get Wyn's Moonlight Sonata (and King Salmon and Farmer John), Edan C, Zorro, Pam Howden, Show n Tell, Camano Pet, Vassio Meggos, Peaches and Dreams, etc. etc. and of course, Hillcrest Kismet. Whew - this is going to be a fun growing season.

• arythrina
    15 years ago

Contraste was my absolute favorite! But they were all lovely... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of 'Contraste'

• kwesiobruni
    15 years ago

My favorites last year were amorous and alloway candy. One of my all time favorites is puget sparkle. The flowers are always so perfect. I am trying more big ones this year. Hopefully they will make it to bloom in our short growing season here in northern Utah.

• bklynxmas
    15 years ago

My latest must-haves:
    From Accent: AC Tattoo, Akita, Alloway Candy, Barbarry Glamour, Formby Perfection, Hillcrest Kismet, Jocondo, Pennhill Dark Monarch, Pennhill Watermelon,Pennsgift,Pinot Noir,Tomorrow, and Zorro.
    From Coralittos's: CG Sprite, Chimacum Troy,Clear Choice, Dearwood Erica,Glenplace,Joycie, Lady Darlene, Princess Paige,and Valley Porcupine.
    From Old House Gardens:Deuil Du Roi Albert, Kaiser Wilhelm, Miss Rose Fletcher, Thomas Edison, and Tommy Keith. (Sellwood Glory was sold out when I ordered...Darn!)

Well, I guess one has a dahlia addiction when you are already making your list for 2010!

• lovedahlias
    15 years ago

The absolute favorites of mine are Omnibus, Pinelands Pam, Myrtle's Folly, Encore, Vassio Meggos, Lady Darlene, Helen Richmond and Ninekazi! I particularly love lacinated cactus varieties! I am totally enamored with dahlias! Every spring I dig up more and more of my yard to make a home for the new arrivals bought from various suppliers! I have turned a large section of my garage into a mini greenhouse and really look forward to Spring planting!
    Paula

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

My favorite dahlia I have to admit is usually the one I'm looking at, at that moment :-)
    ...although I do think my all time favs. have to be Wyn's Moonlight Sonata & her mother, Edna C-- I'm a sucker for the Decoratives & Informal Decoratives.
    It's an addiction-- watch out bklynxmas-- I started out with one dahlia in 1965-- Miss Rose Fletcher-- and now we have somewhere between 6 & 7 thousand!!! I blame it all on Miss Rose!
    This is Edna C
    {{gwi:635719}}

This is Wyn's Moonlight Sonata
    {{gwi:633366}}

OMG-- I almost forgot-- Wyn's Eeekk!!! He's so funky & cool & has a fan club all his own!
    {{gwi:632838}}

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

You for got Wyn,s Dark Dancer plantlady. LOL

• bklynxmas
    15 years ago

Plantlady,
    I can only dream of that many dahlias... I am only working with a typical size Brooklyn back yard!! Love the photos!

• plantlady2008
    15 years ago

As I said, Viking- my favorite dahlia is usually the one I'm looking at, at the moment! There's far too many gorgeous ones out there to pick just a couple!...but- Wyn's Dark Dancer was a fav. in the gardens last year ;) I need to upload a picture to show it!
    bklynxmas-- first, the back yard grass goes-- who needs it anyway? It always has to be mowed. Then-- the front yard grass-- the neighbors would rather look at dahlias any day-- then you ask them if you can grow your "overflow" at their place. Of course, they always agree. Then....when all else fails you head out to the country & purchase a few acres to grow yet more dahlias on! It's the Dahlia Addiction in full force-- & it all starts with Miss Rose Fletcher!!! ...although-- we do have 63 acres & only have 1.5 of them in dahlias so we have a ways to go yet!

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Interesting I didn't see my two favorites mentioned.

China Doll and Sandia Joy. Both relatively small (4" on 24" bushes) but both amazing, IMO. Big is beautiful when you can grow them like Plantlady does, but small is perfect when you're an amateur like me...;-]

Cheers,
    Russ

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH