Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buying dahlia plants from cuttings

Posted by lovedahlias Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 18:50

I recently purchased dahlia plants that were started from cuttings. These plants do not have bulbs presently. Has anyone tried to grow these type of dahlias and have they produced bulbs in the fall? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buying dahlia plants from cuttings

I have taken cuttings of my own. They only produced sizable tubers when I took them in and put them under lights until November. The cuttings though were taken in May, I'll see this year how they do with cuttings from February.

Russ might have more info as he does a lot of cuttings.

o

I don't do many cuttings, but they will indeed go on to grow and develop good tubers for the next year.

Last year, a little sprig broke off a new dahlia, so I poked my finger in the soil, plunked in the broken stem; just a little sprout of 3" or so. It grew to about 18" but had developed tubers in just a matter of a few weeks when I pulled it up. Tubers are nothing more than fattened up roots.

o

In England most people buy rooted cuttings instead of tubers. Here in the USA plants are available from a few commercial sources. Many dahlia societies sell rooted cuttings and I believe San Francisco only sells rooted cuttings at it's sales. Dahlias frown from rooted cuttings do just as well as those grown from tubers. They do make tubers but not as many as a tuber grown plant.

o

Thanks so much everyone for your input and advice! I have much more confidence that I will be able to grow these plants successfully!
Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here