Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do if tubers grow 2-3 stems?

Posted by HighlanderNorth North DE (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 19:49

I wet ahead and planted a few tubers that had sprouted early about 28 days ago, after shortening their stems to 1". But we had a couple frosts, and the shallower tubers(that I didnt care about) died apparently.

But the one I do care about(MacAllister's Pride) did grow, but it grew 2 stems that popped up above soil about 8 days ago, and about days ago I dug down to the tuber and pinched off 1 of the 2 tubers.

hey both seemed smaller and thinner than they should be, but it has been cooler recently, and there were 2 instead of 1.
Was that the correct thing to do? Will the 1 thats left now get thicker since I removed it's competition? It was a very small, thin tuber that sprouted early..... I have been wrapping the large pot its in in a trash bag when it gets cold at night, and thats protected it so far.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do if tubers grow 2-3 stems?

Yeah, it is up to you.

I keep some of mine at 3-4 stems because I think they look better, but I am not growing them for competition. Whichever works for you. I will say that you need good air circulation no matter what you choose to go with 1 vs multi-stems.

Good uck!

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here