Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovedahlias

starting dahlias from cuttings

lovedahlias
15 years ago

I have only one Omnibus dahlia and cannot seem to find any suppliers of this variety. I would like to start Omnibus from cuttings. Would anyone have information about techniques of starting new dahlias from cuttings? What part of the stem should be cut? What type of medium should they be planted and how often should they be watered? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Paula

Comments (7)

• homemommy
    15 years ago

I started a few cuttings for the first time recently. I first planted the tuber with the eye out of the soil. Let it grow about 3 inches tall, and cut it off as close to the tuber as I could. I very quickly dipped it into water with a mild fungicide in it so that it did not get air bubbles up the stem (this is a bad thing).

I then filled a pudding cup ( the type you give kids for school lunches) with seed starting soil, made a hole, dipped the cutting in rooting hormone and put it in the soil, firming it up around the cutting.

I placed the cup with the cutting into a large ziplock bag and sealed it shut. I put it on top of the fridge for a few days, then into a north facing window for a few more, then transfered it to the south facing window, opening up the bag a bit for ventalition.

Took it about 3 weeks to root. I now have fresh eyes growing where I took the first cutting.

• lovedahlias
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, PlantLady and HomeMommy for taking the time to provide your very valuable information! I am very excited to see if I can get my cuttings to produce well!
    Paula

• oscarthecat
    15 years ago

Yes thanks to both of you for providing clear,concise and easy directions for starting cuttings. I printed this all out and will place in my dahlia file for next winter. Steve in Baltimore County

• rose_nutty
    15 years ago

You can also root them in water. I have one favorite dahlia that I don't know the name of, so if I lose it I can't even buy a new one because I don't know what to buy. So this winter I brought it inside instead of storing it, and I've been taking cuttings every time it gets too leggy. I just cut off the top couple of leaf nodes (about 8" because of the legginess) and stick them in a bud vase. The ones I didn't add rooting hormone took about a month to root, but the ones I added rooting hormone to took only about 10 days. Then I just potted them and they are doing wonderfully. I now have LOTS of those little plants growing - maybe more than I know what to do with. =grin= I used half-gallon milk jugs with the tops cut out and slices in the bottom to plant them because they are so tall.

• lynnlang48
    7 years ago

I must be very lucky, have a beautiful Dahlia dark foliage called Fifteen to Love. When it was about 12inches or so high slug chewed off one of the middle stems. As I was in a hurry to go to work I just pushed the stem complete with all leaves and side shoots into pot. Between rain work and being away I came back today to find the broken stem very firmly rooted and growing without any help from me. Really pleased, may have to let slugs near it again.

• Jennifer Pruette
    7 years ago

@Plantlady2008, do you use the black plastic ketchup cups or the white, folded paper ones (like from McDonald's)? I would think the white ones would disintegrate. Thank you for the information. I have been trying to take cuttings in soil but only have a 50% success rate and I would like to try your method. Thanks!