Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

Dahlias-Shorties only

hardin
16 years ago

I just finished landscaping my front flower beds. Now I am wanting to plant some small short dahlias. After reading till I am blind, I thought I'd ask everyone here. Keeping in mind that I've never grown a dahlia in my life, I do know I want the shorter ones, under 12" if possible. I like the anemone and the collarettes the best. And in colors, orange, yellow or reds. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• daleyc
    16 years ago

The smallest Dahlias i've seen have been on the Swan Island site.
    www.dahlias.com
    They were 18". They are under the low growing and Dwarf catagory.
    Hope this helps

• redhawkwoman
    16 years ago

Dwarf dahlias come in all types and colors as I'm sure you know. The shortest are usually the Mignon Singles (daisy-look-alikes to those unfamiliar with dahlias) - they grow as short as 10 - 12 inches and come in a variety of colors. Look for the Topmix varieties and the Baby Red and Baby Yellow if you are interested in Mignon Singles. Check under the Colorado Dahlia Society webpage and click on their growers & suppliers list. Swan Island isn't the only grower out there with Dwarf Dahlias. Anemone and Collarette come in a variety of heights. Good luck.

• bandwagonforever
    9 years ago

Are the dwarfs basically the same as the bigger ones? Do they create tubers too? Usually I guess the ones you buy are from seed in the dwarf bedding variety. Will they have tubers that can be saved later in the year? Thank you.

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how the "Crazy Love" does - it's supposed to get up to 24", perfect for a low border. I've got several of them going on a southern-facing wall in the backyard. Houston may get too hot, but I plan to set up some drip irrigation to keep them cool and mulch in a few weeks. This was two weeks ago, when they were about 6 weeks or so, taken near dusk.

This post was edited by cagoldbear on Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:54

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

I highly recommend American Meadows for dahlias, BTW. Their selection is a little low no, at the end of the planting season, but they've got a ton of varieties during the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Meadows Dahlias

This post was edited by cagoldbear on Thu, May 29, 14 at 10:56

• mandolls
    9 years ago

I grow border dahlias from seed, but even they get to 18-24" tall. The tubers that the small ones produce are pretty tiny, which makes them more difficult to store over the winter, as they dry out easily. The first year I grew them, I did try to store the tubers, and got maybe 50% to survive? For me it is just as easy to re grow them from seed every spring. (actually I start them in Feb)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living