Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing dahlias for September wedding

Posted by manifest z10 Los Angeles, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 23:50

I'm on a very tight budget for my upcoming September 20 wedding. I was considering growing dahlias in place of buying flowers. I would just be putting some single stem dahlias in bud vases, nothing elaborate at all. I grew dahlias one year when I lived in Oakland and they were delightfully unfussy for me to grow. But of course, I didn't have a wedding to plan for!

It's been 3 years since I grew dahlias and I am now living in Los Angeles. Can I get some feedback/advice/thoughts/tips on doing this?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing dahlias for September wedding

I can't see a problem. Mid September is when most of the Dahlia shows are happening, so you've picked prime production time.

No doubt you've already looked into the different varieties to pick what works for you. Dis-bud and dis-branch at least 2 weeks ahead of time to get the best blooms out of the branches you leave. Try to leave them on the plant as long as possible.

Smaller flowers will likely hold their petals better.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Russ

o

Yeah, pick your colors and have at it! I had a gal who wanted orange dahlias for a DIL's October 20th wedding a couple years ago: she got exactly 6 flowers of usable quality from me. September 20th in CA, you'll have no problem.

o

Since Cory can't- the Garden Web considers that advertising-- let me direct you to the Wynne's Dahlias website where you can find weddings where Cory has used dahlias. I especially like the one where she used a single huge dahlia for each of the wedding party bouquets- a very inexpensive boquet for the bride & her bride's maids. She also made centerpieces using one dahlia & in one of the weddings she made dahlia topiaries using those strong-stemmed Wynne dahlias!
Ellie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Albums

o

thanks for all the tips, poochella & sturgeon, i truly appreciate it! and thanks, too, for the link to cory's album, ellie. i also love how simple the single dinnerplate dahlia is as a bouquet! it's such a great idea and very budget friendly.

i am off to go order some tubers now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here