Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

Half-dead- half - alive tubers, how to encourage them?

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hi there
I'm in the middle of pre- growing my Dahlias in potts, they can go outside early or mid of May and I would love to have first flowers for DHs birthday in early July.

Most do well, but some just put out a short sprout and stopped. They didn't produce roots and didn' rot ( yet), so I am not sure what to do with them.

So far I put them in a bright warm spot indoors and keep the potting soil very dry.

Would they need moisture to root, should I carry on (and be more patient)?

Thanks a lot, bye, Lin

Comments (5)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

If the leaves and stems are still doing OK, and they just look like they are in "small plant waiting state" then they are probably waiting for some warmer temps.

Without too many roots, then the tuber is using its internal supply for food and your bit of water that you give it to help replenish its strength before doing more, since you also mention that its health might not be optimum.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, without doing excessive watering at this stage, so just keep doing that until they can go outside and get more warmer temps.

• mandolls
    9 years ago

How short is the sprout? If they are potted up and you have a few inches above soil level - then it may be time to increase the water. Once they have unfurled a few little leaves, I water them like a normal plant. Soak them good, and let them dry out between waterings.

If they are not potted, and are just in a tray with a bit of damp soil over them, then patience is all you need. Some Dahlias are early starters, some are late.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi gardenper and mandolls, thanks for your answers.

The ones concerning me have short shoots, few millimeters to half an inch long.

BUT I checked carefully last night,
    seems that I actually did overwater some pots when watering them in a hurry (between kids, job, garden,meals...)

I amputated two Dahlia fingers that were rotting, discovered that a tuber which had been very dry sitting ON the soil (cause I hadn`t manage to finish the job ) had grown a nice white fresh root on its end,
    so now I have to really check before watering (something I preach to anyone asking me about their pot plants...) and hope for the best.

The ones with longer shoots (3 inches and more) are on my balcony with full sun and cold nights,
    the emerging ones stay in the living room.

And funny, you can really tell by the look of an eye/ shoot, whether it is happy and thriving (shiny, kind of turgescent) or dull and black-ish (in which case something is wrong, like the tuber starts rotting)

and I will try to keep records next season whether some cultivars do start earlier ha others.

Thanks, have a good day, bye, Lin

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, after waiting for 5 more weeks , staring at that inert little dark shoot, it started sprouting, yey. I had kept it very dry so it wouldn't rot, watering very carefully, and now there are even roots visible.
    It's Cherry drop, part of my first order from Swan Island. Weather got warm, so it will go outside soon.

Have a nice weekend, bye, Lin

• mandolls
    9 years ago

Its odd how much slower some are than others. I woke up all of my tubers about the same time, and I have a few plants that are over 2 feet, and a few that are 2 inches, most between 8-12".

Glad that one started moving for you!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area