Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do they need sunlight? What are good temperatures?

Posted by megbun 5b MA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 9:30

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to dahlias and am in the process of giving them a head start, since I'm a New Englander. I managed to do some nice dividing from my random garden center tubers (I think I'll get 13 plants from the 5 tubers I purchased). I followed the instructions on this forum, so I got my tubers to eye up in little plastic baggies, including a number of tubers I thought had no eyes. Great tip!

Few questions:
1. I have one odd chunk that has its sprouting eye in the middle of a cluster of 3, but it's on the underside bured in between. In other words, the sprout is going the same direction as the tubers are sprouting roots. Any ideas for how to handle that? Should I try to remove one of the tubers, so I can at least place it on its side?
2. I've potted up the tubers with eyes that are sprouting in small clay pots of varying sizes, lined with newspaper for easy transplanting. I only barely covered the tubers with soil. I'll fill up as they grow. When exactly do they start needing direct light? When the sprouts break the surface? Or is it only when the sprouts start having leaves?
I ask mainly because I have limited access to light inside. At what temperature can I put them outside in their pots, at least during the day? At what temperature should I be concerned about losing the tubers, even on our screened-porch? I can keep them inside all the time where it is going to be 65-70 all the time, but I'm concerned about lack of light. Ideally, I'd like to keep them on our porch when it's chillier (and at night) and put them out in the sun during the day.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do they need sunlight? What are good temperatures?

Megbun,
Sounds like you've done your homework, and are in the problem solving stage all dahlia growers have to work through.

As to your first question, most growers lay the tuber on its side, with the sprout facing up. The roots, as long as you cover them, will grow towards moisture. Without a picture, its hard to tell how I'd trim an oddly shaped tuber clump.

With your second question, I had flats of well-sprouted tubers outside in what I thought was 45-50 degree weather in order to add potting mix to the containers and water thoughouly,and had some cold damage on several plant leaves after I came out after dinner to bring them back inside. I was surprised, and a bit chagrined. Perhaps someone else can quote you exact temps...

You might consider a cold frame, or a vertical 'greenhouse' that is basically plastic over a plant stand. That might add a bit of protection when the temp dips more then you reckoned on.

o

And to answer the question in the headline - they need light when they break the surface - but not if you are going to continue burying them for a while.

Lack of light will make for a long, weak spindly stem.

o

Gotcha (RE: sunlight). I also got a bit of an answer this morning from one of my tubers. One of my sprouts sticking out of the dirt actually has a couple of tiny little leaves on it! Very exciting. I assumed I was just going to kill all my tubers (not that I'm out of the woods yet).

So my question now: before developing leaves, do the sprouts need sunlight? Is leaf growth triggered by light hitting the sprout? Or is it temp? Level of root development? Something else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here