Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megbun_gw

When do they need sunlight? What are good temperatures?

megbun
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to dahlias and am in the process of giving them a head start, since I'm a New Englander. I managed to do some nice dividing from my random garden center tubers (I think I'll get 13 plants from the 5 tubers I purchased). I followed the instructions on this forum, so I got my tubers to eye up in little plastic baggies, including a number of tubers I thought had no eyes. Great tip!

Few questions:
1. I have one odd chunk that has its sprouting eye in the middle of a cluster of 3, but it's on the underside bured in between. In other words, the sprout is going the same direction as the tubers are sprouting roots. Any ideas for how to handle that? Should I try to remove one of the tubers, so I can at least place it on its side?
2. I've potted up the tubers with eyes that are sprouting in small clay pots of varying sizes, lined with newspaper for easy transplanting. I only barely covered the tubers with soil. I'll fill up as they grow. When exactly do they start needing direct light? When the sprouts break the surface? Or is it only when the sprouts start having leaves?
I ask mainly because I have limited access to light inside. At what temperature can I put them outside in their pots, at least during the day? At what temperature should I be concerned about losing the tubers, even on our screened-porch? I can keep them inside all the time where it is going to be 65-70 all the time, but I'm concerned about lack of light. Ideally, I'd like to keep them on our porch when it's chillier (and at night) and put them out in the sun during the day.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County