Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6'' dahlias, what are they?

Posted by archoo16 5b, MO (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 10:44

Hi, I saw some 6'' potted dahlias at my local farmer's market with gorgeous blooms on them. They did not have any tags and I am curious which kind they could be. I did not purchase them because I dont have any more space to spare. But I will start them next year If I knew what kind they were.

They were at 6'' height and had one or two blooms each with lots of unopened buds. Each flower was about 5'' across .

Most dwarf varieties that I looked up online say they grow to 12''. Was this just another dwarf variety that had not reached its full height yet and started blooming already?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6'' dahlias, what are they?

Some nurseries use chemicals the make plants grow shorter and bloom earlier. This is done because plants in bloom sell much better than plants not in bloom. The chemicals do wear off and the plant will eventually grow to it's normal height.

o
RE: 6'' dahlias, what are they?

At my nursery 6" dahlias could refer to dahlias in a 6" pot. Just a thought.
Beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here