Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misslucinda

Peeling tubers

misslucinda
17 years ago

Hi--

I became anxious that my divided tubers wern't going to sprout so I went to the nursury and picked up some Langerveld tubers. I opened the package to find they are peeling or have spots missing the outerskin and no sprouts (common at this time of year) or visible eyes?

Should I take them back?

Thanks,

Patricia

Comments (11)

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

They should have eyes by this time. It sounds as if they didn't cure well when dug last fall- the skin didn't have time to thicken. I'd give them about a week & then if they don't do anything take them back.

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feed-back plant lady. In other years when I've purchased them this late in the season they were already sprouting in the package--this does not bode well.

• flowerfarmer
    17 years ago

Do you see these tubers? They don't all have eyes. They are healthy tubers. We plant thousands of tubers in our flower fields each year. Other large commercial growers like us do the same thing. In fact, eyes are not a concern of ours because they all grow. It's a big injustice when people give advice that's misleading.
    {{gwi:637243}}

• mollyzone5
    17 years ago

Flowerfarmer
    Do you divide yours in fall or Spring?Yours are so nicely separated,but mine I always plant a large clump as I don't know any different.Do you know of a website that shows what you do with yours?Your pile of tubers is impressive,and I would really like to learn your technique.Thanks for any info.

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flowerfarmer,

What nice chubby bulbs you have. What size flowers A, AA etc. It wasn't just because they didn't have eyes, but that they looked a little gnarly and bulemic to me. In Lady's defense, she told me to wait a week.

Mollyzone-
    Do your research. There is someone in this forum who posted a meticulous photo-lesson in how to divide. Its invaluable. BTW--I've divided in spring and fall--makes no real difference to growth.

• Poochella
    17 years ago

Well Flowerfarmer, without an eye I don't know how you can claim "they all grow." Surely you've heard of a blind tuber. Planting thousands, how can you possibly be sure they 'all' grow? No eye, no growth, no plant. It is misleading to proclaim otherwise.
    I'd like to hear your definition of an eye; perhaps you think of it as something others don't. Perhaps you're referring to those that are slow to develop?

Misslucinda, I had a peeling little clump of roots also from a store. It was very dry with 90% of the tubers broken. I cut those off, put the clump in a baggie of barely damp soil, in light, and within 10 days had a nice pink eye show up. You might try the same. Otherwise if no eye develops, do as Plantlady wisely advised and take it back. You paid for the product, you deserve to get a plant out of the transaction.

I think there are two threads with dividing as the subject: one by Jroot for Spring division and one I did for Fall division. Search back in the February/March and October/November time frames and you should find them.

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Pooch! You are my gal.

Although I've belonged to the local garden club for years and Gardenweb is listed in our annual handbook as an excellent internet site, I didn't bother to take a peek until I did a general internet search on dividing tubers and there you were!

Your's was the posting,(although I could not remember your log-in name) I was suggesting Molly find.

Yes, I took the ugly tubers, spritzed them in there little bags of peat or garden soil and sat them atop my other trayed tubers under a light. We will see.

Again, thankyou for your most informative posting.

• jroot
    17 years ago

Right on, Poochella.

Sometimes, the eyes take a while to develop. However, if there is no eye, there will probably be no sprout.

Here is the link to splitting

Here is a link that might be useful: splitting dahlia tubers

• jroot
    17 years ago

Jim,

Thanks for the tip about the bulb crate. The reference of "no light" is interesting. I guess there would be no light if it were placed in the soil too.

Have a wonderful gardening season, Jim

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jroot,

Excellent link. Wish I had known about the newspaper trick before I potted my undivided clumps. In point of fact, wish I had known it was ok to divide sprouted/leafy tubers.

Jim,

Found your website and put it in my favorite places for next spring. And yes, you are absolutely right, dahlias are not that hard to grow (which is why I love 'em)--just labor intensive.

On your reccomendation I am taking my little plastic dahlia containing packages out from under the grow light.

Thank you to all,

Patricia

• misslucinda
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update. The peeling, sere-looking tuber has finally developed an eye. I am floored!

Thanks again.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH