Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Important dahlia question.

Posted by billjoebob (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 12:13

Hello all,

I had never tried dahlias and a friend of mine last year gave me 50 dahlias. I planted them all, and they were beautiful all season. I was told since my zone is 7A I was suppose to take them up but was too busy with work to do so. I didn't even mulch them. I have been preparing my beds for the season and have noticed quite a few are coming up. The beginning of winter was warm, but the end was very cold. Am I just lucky, or should I have heavy mulched them. Any advice for this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Important dahlia question.

You may have been lucky! The key question is: Does the ground freeze in the winter where I live? If it is an unqualified yes then you are lucky and in a hard winter you may have lost quite a few. If the ground doesn't freeze then just mulch them with 4-6" of something like leaves or pine straw. I talked to a fellow one time that lived in Central Ohio and didn't dig his dahlias but he mulched them with a couple of feet of leaves. So they can stay in the ground if you do it right to prevent them from freezing.

Storing dahlias inside can cause dahlias to shrivel or rot if you don't use proper techniques so you must select one where you can be successful. Check out the Dahlia Society of Georgia web site menu item Dahlias That Grow Well in the South which discusses one and gives a website for another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Society of Georgia

o
RE: Important dahlia question.

Well, it is probably a combination. I'm zone 6 & the last 3 years I have overlooked a few dahlias when digging in the fall, & "knock on wood" :) those have come back. They didn't get mulched, since I didn't intentionally leave them. We occasionally get a winter with temps below 0, but haven't the last few years. We do get below 10 a very few nights though, & still I see them come back. The ones I dig though do better, but that may be because I just left a piece of one. This fall I may just mulch really well & leave them in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here