Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper band around raised beds

Posted by theras_garden 7b (GA) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 12:39

Hi all,
I'm going to plant in a raised bed this year. I plan on nailing some copper flashing in a band (maybe 3" high) around the bottom of the bed to keep slugs out. Has anyone tried this before? or should I put the band closer to top of bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper band around raised beds

HOW BIG ARE YOUR SLUGS? If they are as bg as our slugs they can stretch themselves up and over 3" easily. We have really big slugs here! If they are the small kind it might work that low down. I would put the band around the top, myself. Also make sure there is nothing close to your bed that the slugs could climb up and then swing over into the bed on. THey are masterful gymnests!

o
RE: Copper band around raised beds

Thanks for the advice, Lizalily.
You know I've never taken the time to actually measure my slugs. Sounds like a slimy task to me! ;-)
Your point is duly noted and I'll check out the little buggers to see if they are petite or gigantor variety.
I'll put the copper band around the top now.

p.s. the vision of a slug gymnast doing a tuck, pike, and double back flip onto my dahlias is quite amusing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here