Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will/Do Dahlia Branch Out?

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 13:06

I am thinking of planting Dahlia into my very small garden. The garden is anchored by 2 - 3' rose shrubs. The Dahlia I'm looking at grow 3' and 5'. Question is will they branch out (with flowers) below their height mark or will they only flower at the top?

I'm looking at Mellisa and Outtadablue

Thanks!

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will/Do Dahlia Branch Out?

As a general rule, they will perform EXACTLY like roses do.

Some blooms will come within the height of the plant and some will grow higher, though usually dahlias do not bloom much higher than the plant. Perhaps 6-8 inches at most above the top leaves.

You can pinch the leaves after they sprout to 'widen' the plant and keep it from growing to its' tallest and then you get a bushier plant with more blooms. Or keep the main bud and pinch off the side buds to get long tall blooms.

Ultimately however, each plant has its own 'preferences' and I own neither Melissa nor OUTTADABLUE so I have no personal experience with them or how they tend to bloom.

o

hi davidinsf

when you say to pinch off leaves to widen plant...which leaves are you referring to...the sides?

o

David is probably referring to topping the plant. It is a standard practice to pinch off the top growing shoot after the first three sets of leaves have formed. It encourages lateral branching below, and causes a forking in the top growth. More branches = more flowers.

o

thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here