Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water conserving crystals

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 13:16

Where do you find those moisture conserving crystals I've heard about? The ones you incorporate into the soil for pots? I'm planning to have more dahlias in pots this year.

Any brand better than others?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water conserving crystals

Hi Linnea,
You should be able to find those polymers in any nursery or possibly nursery section of Lowes, Home Depot etc. I've only used Soil Moist, with great effect, but there are other brands out now. Make sure you mix it deeply into the potting soil at the root level. I was surprised and mystified to see glistening slimy things on top of some dahlia pots last year- but instead of the slug eggs I suspected, it was only jello cubes of stray Soil Moist granules. A pleasant surprise for a change!

Here is a link that might be useful: About Soil Polymers

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 11:09

Hi Linnea, I use them too! BUT..I soak them first then add them to the soil. Dry, they are very tiny, so wetting them first is helpful in knowing how much to use.

o

• Posted by aq123 7 I think (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 07 at 15:24

I've used Shultz Moisture Plus Watering Crystals, they used to sell it at Wal-Mart and Soil Moist, which is sold at Pike here in Atlanta GA. I use the crystals for my Window boxes and it keeps my plants alive. Other than that , they would surely die, because my boxes are up high and the heat is relentless. You only need a tiny bit for each plant or else you will have a ton of jelly like beads all over the place that will eventually surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here