Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nina_lee_gw

dahlia from seeds...

nina_lee
14 years ago

I started some dahlias from seeds on march 15th. They have just finished growing their 3rd set of leaves. I am in Virginia and the time for transplanting veggies is approaching in the next week or two, so I'm wondering if I should move my dahlias outside now too? Our temps are pretty steady in the 70s now (lows in the 40s and 50s)

Also, how deep do I plant them? Do I plant them at the same dirt level they are at now or do I plant the first set of leaves under the soil line or even more than that? Thanks

Comments (4)

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

if they're tall & leggy you can nip off a set of leaves or 2 & plant them deeper than they were. The bonus from this is another row or 2 of tubers when you dig in the fall

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

The soil temps are more important.

tubers will rot in cold soil, or get stalled out.

My tip is to plant them in a well/hole so the sun hits the whole plant and then in a week or so start slowly back-filling in over the stems until you reach the natural soil line. This will keep the soil warmer around the tuber so it will not be too cool and then you bury the stem and achieve stocky plants and more tubers.

Kind of wordy, but does that make sense?

Keriann~

• nina_lee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They aren't leggy at all, they are short and stocky!! They are Ferry-Morse "unwin's dwarf dahlia' and I started them about 1 month ago. They are about 2 inches tall and have their 3rd set of leaves.

They look quite healthy and ready to go in the ground (it's in the 70s and 80s and last frost date should have passed). Just not sure if I should plant the first set of leaves in the ground or plant them 'as is' as far as depth goes.

If I knew how to post pics I would show them! I am hoping they work as perennials for my area!

• plantlady2008
    14 years ago

you can take off the first set or 2 of leaves & plant if deeper if you want to- or since they're dwarf dahlias you can just put them in at the level they are now- just saying- it won't hurt anything if you get a set of leaves under ground

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting