Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are they Dead?

Posted by harmonyp NorCA 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 13:42

I planted some beautiful purple dinnerplate dahlias last summer. They bloomed beautifully through fall. I am in zone 9b (California), and I did not store my bulbs inside over the winter. Bulbs are still in the ground, and not showing any signs of life. How do I know if they are dead or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are they Dead?

Dig them up. Are they mushy or solid or all shriveled?

They should be fine in your area though

Keriann~

o

Thanks Keriann. I dug them up, and they are firm and rooted. No growth yet, but now I'll be patient.

o

Where are you in California, harmony? I did not dig mine also. Some of them are already sprouting, but some are not yet. Yes, we have to be patient. I actually dug one, a Ferncliff Illusion, in November. It had so many tubers. I left it outside on a table, but I planted it back on the ground 2 months ago and now they are sprouting. I thought I lost them because they were already shrivelling and I did not see any eyes.

o

Near Stockton. Was my first year for Dahlia's. Really loved them, but was too lazy to dig them out for winter. I am anxious to see how many come back. It's tough as you go into a nursery, and see greenhouse dahlias with lots of growth, and forget that nature doesn't give same results.

Same issue with my hibiscus. I'm tempted to pull them out and replace with roses as they look like sticks, but trying to be patient to see what is to come.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here