Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

dahlia tubers in pots but

v1rt
15 years ago

can I put them in my garage for now? Average outside temp has always been in the 30F. My garage would be 4 to 6 degrees warmer. Can I put them there?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• jroot
    15 years ago

Will they get any light? Once mine have started to sprout, I do take them to my garage, and put them outside during the day, and haul them back into the garage at night. That way,
    1) they get the light they need,
    2) they don't get lanky from artificial light
    3) they avoid the frost.

BUT, it is a lot of work to move them every day until planting time, unless you are confident of no frost.

I do it because I love them, but my neighbours tell me that I am crazy and it is too much work for them. Mind you, they surely will take any extras. Remind you of the story of "The Little Red Hen"?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The light that will be in the garage will be very little. I don't think it will even hit the pots. I only have small windows on top of the door garage.

I just don't want them to get killed here in my office room. I was told to pot them now. So I thought that putting them in a pot, they'll get save. I don't mind bringing them outside in morning and bringing them in at night.

Please let me know if that will work.

Oh, this is my first time to own a dahlia tuber.

Thanks!

• nhdahlialover
    15 years ago

Just curious Jroot,

What are your outside temps during the day when you bring your pots out? I have started some inside and most have sprouted but haven't thought to bring them out yet. It's only in the 50s-60s during the day here right now. I feel like they would make more progress inside in my floor to ceiling south facing window. Now you have me thinking...should I bring them out or would that stall them?

-Katy

• jroot
    15 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty,
    You said, "I don't mind bringing them outside in morning and bringing them in at night". That is exactly what I would do, if the temperature is warm enough. If you get a few cold days, leave them in the garage. A few days there won't hurt them. Just don't forget and leave them out, if there is the slightest danger of frost. They will not survive a frost.

nhdalialover,
    50's - 60's is good during the day. Personally I DON'T want them to make too much progress until I can leave them out, but I DO want them started. You see, I don't want them to get too tall and lanky, otherwise when I put them outside into the elements, they will be blown over and break.

... my two cents worth ...