Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adair_2008

The dahlia's are two feet tall in the pot now should I water?

adair_2008
16 years ago

The shoots are over two feet tall now can I water them?

Comments (15)

• jroot
    16 years ago

most definitely. They need water and sun.

• adair_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you,I am excited to get them growing,when can you put them outside?

• pdshop
    16 years ago

Mine are going in today! I am also zone 5 but it is hot. I can throw burlap over them if necessary.

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Mine went into the ground close to the front porch here in zone 5b over the weekend. They were begining to grow in the package

• jroot
    16 years ago

Frost warmings for next week, here in zone 5 Ontario. IF your dahlias are in the ground, you will have to cover them with a pail, or old sheet, or bring them indoors, which is what I will do. Mine have been out, in their pots, for a week or so, but I can bring them in to the garage for the 3 days or so of cold.

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

Frost, isn't that always the way! We've had extremely nice weather here in zone 5 Massachusetts with lots of flowers blooming, buds on trees, etc. Now it's supposed to get a lot colder next week, cold and rainy, although we do need the rain. I just worry about all the tender annuals. I do not plan on putting my Dahlias in the ground until at least the middle of May, I just don't trust this New England weather!

It's amazing that your Dahlias are two feet tall already, when did you put them in the pots? How long did it take for them to grow to this point?

Linda

• roxy_girl
    16 years ago

I tricked Mother Nature a little by starting my Dahlias in my new greenhouse(in pots)early and they are just about to bloom now any day! After last years ice storm here (TX) in late April I didn't want to take any chances! Those in the ground are not up and ready quite yet to bloom, they still have a little catching up to do.

• adair_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Almost two weeks ago I put them in the pots,they are now outdoors (in containers)and are branching out everywhere,but no blooms yet.Guess I will have to cover them though here soon again ...the frost is coming.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Are any of you that have dahlias that are two feet high already going to top them? I am still confused about doing that. I want big bushy plants. Last year I topped at two feet and the dahlias grew with big spaces in the middles.

• jroot
    15 years ago

I pinch mine when they are about a foot tall or less....above the 2nd real leaves. That way, the leader stem is not hollow yet, and it does put them to grow several new leaders from the side. I can't say I saw any big spaces in the middles.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

jroot That sounds like a better idea as when I did the topping, there were lots left with a hollow stem. I would take another little stem and put it in the hole so no water could get down. They were the ones that had spaces in the middle. I don't think anyone has mentioned 2nd set of leaves? Most saw 4 leaves and that is where I ran into the trouble.

• jroot
    15 years ago

Even at the 4 leaf mark, if you pinch JUST THE TIP of the leader, it should fill out for you. Don't go down too far or you will hit the hollow part.

Did your dahlias survive the frost we had here in zone 5 the past few nights? Fortunately, I was able to take mine indoors for the night and out for the day. It is a lot of work, but worth it when we avoid the frost and yet get the earlier blooms.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

In zone 5b here, I put a recycling bin over my dahlias and Colocasia when had the frost. They were also heavily mulched for added padding.

One of my hostas took a beating though, but it still looks ok.

• pdshop
    15 years ago

jroot
    I didn't plant any. I have them in the litter boxes. When it is nice I put them outdoors. I chickened out about the planting. I have one tuber in water trying to see if it will show an eye. It wa from Swan. How long should I leave it there before I get another?

• jroot
    15 years ago

I wouldn't put the tuber in water. It can rot that way. Put it in MOIST, not wet, potting soil, with sun or light on top. I think that is the best way.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022