Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming now

Posted by brittie Houston 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:39

I've got a few blooming right now, and several others just barely starting to bud.

I want to say that this one was Brian's Sun
 photo P11008742.jpg

photo P11100052.jpg

This is a NOID. I don't remember buying one that looked like this, so it may have been mislabeled. Pretty though, and huge!
dahlia photo P11009492.jpg

Some NOID dwarf dahlias
dahlia photo P11007092.jpg

dahlia photo P11009662.jpg

photo P11007032.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming now

brittie,
Beautiful pics!
They all look so happy too.
Are they from prior years or new?
What a great idea to use tomato cages, but I have all small
varieties, so I guess I won't need them.
I never grew the tall dahlias, I was afraid of the wind here.
Thanks for sharing pics.

o

Fun to see Dahlia pics so early - it is still crocus/daffodil season here. I have some small bedding Dahlias that I grew from seed that are blooming indoors, but its to early to put them outside.

Do you just leave them in the ground all winter in Texas, and this is their natural time to start blooming? or did you start them indoors and move them out?

o

I just leave them in the ground. Both the orange and the purple dahlias are from last year. When the foliage came up for Brian's Sun, I put a tomato cage over it because I thought it was Purple Splash, which was super tall last year. I was wrong, and now Purple Splash is coming up behind Brian's Sun without a cage. Hmph. I might try to lift the one, but not if it's going to break anything. I'm super impressed with Brian's Sun, very full and bushy.

The small, red dahlia in the picture above is potted and from two years ago. I have to be really careful not to water it too much so that the tuber doesn't rot. We get 50+ inches of rain a year here, so that's a real worry. :/

o

Brittie, looks like you have success with Dahlias. I am in New Orleans area, almost identical climate to you in Houston. I have heard dahlias don't work here in the heat and humidity. Do you find that to be a fallacy? I bought some called Sky Angel from Lowe's to try in pots because I was afraid to put in the ground as I'd heard they don't like it here. Any tricks/tips for us in the hot humid South?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here