Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myohhmy

Saran method - Finally got them to winter over! How did you do?

myohhmy
18 years ago

This is about the 4th season of trying to save tubbers. Thanks to the photos and detailed expentation of the saran wrap method (big thank you!) - I tried it and out of the 25 I wrapped about 20 of them look good (not mushy or moldy) I did lose about 5 due to mold though. And I can't figure out why. I did them all at the same time, they were even in the same bag in the same location! Go figure Not the 99% sucess rate I read about BUT at least this season I have some tubers to start with! So happy. Just curious... How did everyone else do?

I am potting them up this week. Am I correct to start them in shallow dirt and add more soil as they start sproting? I think I read that somewhere but don't see anything about that now

Thank you and happy gardening!

Comments (7)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Mine got all moldy in December. It was just too warm in my basement, so I unwrapped them all and stuck them under moist peatmoss. Most of them have sprouted. I lost very few to rot. I saved every single bit anyway, so I still have too many to pot up. :-)

• jroot
    18 years ago

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had only 1 lost tuber this winter. I had done some with the saran wrap method, and some with the recycled plastic grocery store bag method as explained last fall. None of the ones in the grocery store bags were moldy or soft. Only 1 of those in the saran wrap method was rotten. The moral of the story....both methods work well. The grocery store bag method probably takes up more space though. One major factor in this however, as pitimpinai suggests, is the temperature at which the tubers are kept. They must be kept cool.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I had a slight debacle, if there can be such a thing, after bringing my wrapped tubers into the basement to warm up/eye up. I had lost about 20 total in the winter, but all of a sudden they started molding like crazy- rot soon followed or was already happening internally and I had to throw out about 150, maybe more. That's about 15%, so still not bad. Could have been better though! It was quite disheartening to lose some varieties entirely, but I have enough to keep me entertained.

My lesson learned: unwrap if you store in saran and bring them into a warm environment!

The very few I stored in vermiculite in a bin were a bit dry, a couple died. I'm still a Saran fan for space saving.

Jroot, you should see me whipping out masterful paper pot liners thanks to your photo lesson last year! Still not an artist, but I learned enough to make them fairly neat LOL!

I am wondering where Bernie is hiding? I've been admonished for posting such an inquiry in a thread title, so I'm sneaking it in here :P Anybody heard word on him?

• bernie__pa
    18 years ago

I don't take my tubers out of storage until planting time about mid May. Recently my loss has been somewhere around the 1 percent mark. In the earlier years it was about 6 percent and kept moving downward every year since. I believe the weaker stock were the ones that wouldn't keep over and the healthier ones survived. Thats one of the hidden benefits of plastc wrap storing I guess.
    I'm really not hiding Annie. I've been busy with household chores and of course writing and making changes in the dahlia article we spoke of. Some of your tuber photos are incorporated to show more prominent eyes.
    You may have lost some of your tubers when you took them out of storage into a warmer environment without unwrapping them. The temperature and humidity differential would cause condensation and support mold and fungus growth. As I mentioned earlier, I don't take mine out of storage and unwrap them until a day or two before planting.
    Jroot, I tried some in the recycled plastic grocery bags. I'll let you know how they made out.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Good to hear from you Bernie. I was worried! I am certain the warmth on wrapped tubers led to their demise. prior to coming indoors they looked marvelous. There's always a new lesson every to be learned every year. I just hope that was my ONE big lesson for this season.

• jroot
    18 years ago

Bernie, I would be very interested in your findings. Please let me know.

• jdm9957
    18 years ago

For the past 4 years I have been storing my tubers the same way with minimal losses: I simply put them in a box and cover them with a hardwood sawdust(use to line my horse stalls). I store the tuber in my garage which stays around 50 degrees all winter and then plant them directly in the ground in may...the tubers multiply like weeds each year.