Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

So Dissapointed in Tubers

LindaMA
15 years ago

I purchased two Dahlia Tubers off of Ebay from what I thought was a reputable dealer, one was Edge of Joy and the other was Clair Osborne. I planted them in seed starting soil in the house to get them started early. After a few weeks, there was nothing, so last night I dug them up and they're all soft and falling apart and there's no eyes on either tuber.

The tubers I purchased from Swan Island Dahlias and planted after those two, have shoots just beginning to emerge. I am so frustrated and mad at myself for being so trusting. I didn't water the tubers much, only misted the tops of the soil every other day.

Did I do something wrong? If I did, why are the other tubers sending up shoots? I thought I saw eyes on these tubers when I planted them, maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. Anyway, a lesson learned.

Linda

Comment (1)

• jroot
    15 years ago

If they are "all soft and falling apart", then they are done. Sorry for your loss. Sometimes, that happens if they weren't stored or shipped properly.

What you did sounds like the right thing to do.

I had someone give me dahlias several years ago. She was so proud of the fact that she had trimmed them nicely. Alas, she actually trimmed off the part where the eyes should be. She was upset because hers did not come back either. Gardening is a learning experience.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists