Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stupid question

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 17:11

Now that my tubers have growth on them, should I still plant them 4 to 6 inches and cover up the growth as well? Or, leave the growth above the soil like a normal plant? It would mean that the tubers would be higher in the ground than specified.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stupid question

When I planted out my early started tubers last year I made a well around the plant. IOWs, I planted them the normal 4-6" deep but left the soil away from the growth. As the sprout got larger, I gradually filled in the well. Seemed to work just fine. You may want to watch to make sure the well doesn't fill with water. If it does, then your soil hasn't sufficient drainage anyway.

Cheers,
Russ

o

I did that last year and every time it rained I ran out and had to cover all the holes . I thought that water concentrating in the hole with the plants would be bad.

o

Only if it doesn't drain away. Even if it rained all day I think it would still be fine as long as the water drained away when the rain stopped.

Cheers,
Russ

o

better go check my dahlia. I think may have drowned mine.

o

lol..can't hardly drown em. I soak mine in water, somethimes forgot them and they soaked for a week. I did lose a couple to rot, but I think they were bad anyway.

CrAzY LaRrY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here