Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nina_lee_gw

How to plant bulbs and how long to start growing?

nina_lee
13 years ago

I bought some dahlia bulbs from Lowes, I searched online and had no idea how to plant them, I've never used bulbs before. It was one big center bulb with about 6 little tubers (not sure if that is the right term) shooting off. A lot of the tubers fell off before i could get them in the ground, I went ahead and planted anyway. I had no idea what was the top and what was the bottom, if the tubers should be laying horizontal or sitting straight up???

Also, how long does it take for them to spring up? I am in southeaster virginia and it has been in the 70s and 80s the past 2 weeks (with lows in the 50s) and I planted about 2 weeks ago!

Comments (3)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I would dig one up and see if they are rotted first.

Check to see if they are 'mushy.'

If they are still firm I would search this forum for 'how to plant' because there are many answers to your questions.

And then I would re-post if you still cannot find answers to your questions.

PS. each variety is different and each micro-climate is different so there is no golden answer to when they should sprout. Mine average 4-22 days.

Happy Gardening

Keriann~

• nina_lee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks. i did check them earlier and i dont know if they were rotting but they didnt have any growth.

I just went into lowes and see that the dahlias there all already have growth and the bag I had bought had zero growth in it. it was seriously just a bulb and dirt, so I will be returning that and buying a new one that looks alive!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Okay.... FYI they are tubers not bulbs, tulips, daffs ect are bulbs : )

If you want to try potting them up inside before you return them it is worth a try. Use moist soil and lay the tubers on top of it, and get it under some lights, or a bright window.

The warmer temps inside, will help promt the eyes (growth spots) up near the stem (well stump of a stem)

FYI for your 'new' batch of lowes tubers. They look like skinney potatoes hanging from a main 'stem'. Each skinney potatoe (tuber) needs a part of the stem (collar) and a growth eye (part where they start growing from) in order to flower for you.

Roots will start to form BEFORE you see top growth. So if you are able to start them inside you should see roots in 2-10 days. Wait till your soil is 60* and plant them outside with the stem up and the potatoes dangling down. Or you can plant them on their side (horizontal) if it is easier, just try to keep the eye pointing up. I plant mine about 2-3 inches below the soil line. 2-3 inches from the tubers, not top of the stem. They are pretty hardy so they should be fine in less than ideal situations (too shallow, too deep, cock-eyed ect).

Good luck!

What kind did you pick up?

Keriann~

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts