Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming dahlias at the nursery?

Posted by julianna_il z6 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 18:48

I was at my local nursery today and they had blooming dahlias. I think they were in four inch pots, but I'm not sure.

I'm no dahlia expert, and have only grown them from tubers. But these dahlias were real charmers (5.99) and a variety I've not seen. I think I need one.

If I do buy one, how deep would I plant it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming dahlias at the nursery?

They are probably startd from seed and grown in hot houses.
I have 18 that I have grown from seed this year but they are a long way from blooming size yet. They definatly cannot be planted until all danger of frost is past in your area. Same holds true for cuttings. and sprouted tubers. Since mine are all unknown, I may go ahead and set some out after the first of may here and take a chance on them making it, but still hold a few back in case of late frost. I would plant it a couple inches deeper than a 4" pot, if that is what it is in, and then fill in around it as it grows. Do they give any ideas as how tall it grows? jim

o
RE: Blooming dahlias at the nursery?

This is how I got addicted to Dahlia's last summer. I bought 2 in 4-inch pots around mother's day. They were already blooming. Since it was after my last frost date, I just planted them at the level they were at in the pot. They were border dahlias, got no higher than 18 inches with similar spread. I got regular flowers from May through September, though production tapered off as the days got shorter, and stopped just before the first frost. However, considering that they were $5 each, I considered it quite a bargain.

One was a yellow FD that looked like a ponpon (2-3 inches), the other a blood-red semi-double (2-3 inches). Both were very nice, but unfortunately there was little to no tuber production, so I couldn't really find anything to save. I later found out that they were called "border dahlias" and were grown from seed. I found some similar seed at Target around X-mas time, so likely could have started and grown my own, but decided to move on to full size Dahlias this spring.

Good luck,

Thane T. (igwiz)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here